· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool Cichlid compatibility and Stocking Advice?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Aquatic Community,

I am considering finishing up my 90 gallon tank stock and currently have a full grown Severum who is very shy and only comes out when I feed him, 5 Silver Dollars, and a Rafael Catfish. I want a few more fish that liven up the tank since my Severum always hides. I would like to add an Electic Blue Acara and 5 Congo Tetras to add some movement to the tank since I barely see the catfish as well. The SD's are always out. I have a Fluval FX5 and Fluval 405 running with 30-40 percent water changes weekly. Is this a doable addition or should I look into other options?

Thanks!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    I think that should probably work. I have all of those fish except for the rafael catfish together in a larger tank with some other friends and everyone seems to get along reasonably well.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    The SDs rule the tank and their skittish behavior, especially in a short tank like a 4ft 90g, does affect your severum. If the tank is in a high traffic area, the SDs are even more skittish. Personally, I would trade in the SDs and increase the congo school to over 10. The congos make perfect dithers to make your severum feel safe.

You will never see the rafael swimming about since it is nocturnal. It will come out to feed and the go into hiding again once finished eating.

The EBA might be okay, but with only 2 cichlids in the tank, an adult severum may assert its territorial nature.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-29-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering maybe a pair of Geo's or Blue Acara's to make the Severum more at ease. Could this be an option?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwolf004 View Post
    I am considering maybe a pair of Geo's or Blue Acara's to make the Severum more at ease. Could this be an option?
    Other cichlids do not put cichlids at ease. Cichlids compete for territory and space. Dither fish that are not skittish like congo tetras put cichlids at ease. The larger a congo school is, the more at ease they will be, and the more at ease they are, the more at ease the severum will be.

If you don't like how often the rafael hides, another alterative is a school of pictus catfish,at least 6, or a school of porthole catfish. It might be easier to find green emerald cory cats aka brochis splendens. A school of 6-8 green emerald cories with be more out in the open than the rafael catfish.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-29-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor for your input. I would really like to add a pair of Geo's or Blue Acara's. With my current stock, do you think this would be an issue?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwolf004 View Post
    Thanks Rocksor for your input. I would really like to add a pair of Geo's or Blue Acara's. With my current stock, do you think this would be an issue?
    Let's say that they all get along fine as adults, if you are willing to test for nitrates with a liquid test every 3-4 days and do 50% water change whenever nitrates hit 20ppm, then it would it work. By the time all the fish are adults (2 years) you should be doing at least a 50% water change every 3 days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I vote for:
    One severum
    10+ congo tetras
    A pair of EB acaras
    One rafael catfish (since you already have one)

Edit: I have never kept SDs and am not familiar with their antics
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-29-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I have never kept SDs and am not familiar with their antics
    Picture a skittish (dash around nervously when anyone comes near the tank) school of tetras that grow to the size of CD's.
    Severums aren't typical of cichlids as far as their general disposition, they're relatively mild-mannered IME. Angels would probably be fine too, their body shape is so different that other cichlids don't see them as direct competition.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Yikes! Those SDs must seriously be stressing out your severum!

And just my opinion, but I like those little (fat) rafael catfish, even though they are nocturnal. When you feed super delicious foods, it's halarious to watch the catfish eat (cause he can't resist) while still trying to hide.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-30-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat