· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Loaches that Float :P

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Im new here just made an account. so i recently bought a Golden Dojo Loach at a nearest Petco they kept these fish in cold waters with koi (very bad condition) so i bought the 10 dollar golden loach yesterday ive kept him for only a day and hes just been hanging at the top of my tank. is this normal?? the loach will go down to the floor whenever i interact with it. but with float back up. the tank mates are too gold fish one shubunkin the other is a fantail oranda a Panda cory and albino, a common pleco an upside down cat and a small rasbora if you needed this info but is it fine for a loach t just float like this?? also his/her name is Mr. KungFu guy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

What size tank is he in, how long has it been set up, and is it cycled?

What are your water params?...what is the ph and hardness of your tap water?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like there might not be enough oxygen in the water. How much surface agitation is there and do you have a bubbler going?
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Sounds like there might not be enough oxygen in the water. How much surface agitation is there and do you have a bubbler going?
    Temperature would also help and the type of filters he has.

Plus, don't goldfish consume large amounts of oxygen from the water column? I know aeration tends to be extremely important for them.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish
    50 Gallon| South American Cichlids
    26 Gallon Bowfront| Tetra/Shrimp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sadly hes gone he past away but one day i might come return again to get another Dojo are there a few tips for taking care of a loach you guys would like to mention?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Dojo (weather) loaches are cool water fish, need a tank at least 4 feel long as they are super active, they like to be in groups of 3 or more as they are very social and will group huddle and "feel" each other with their barbels. They prefer sand as they like to bury themselves in it. They can gulp air and occasional store it in their intestines where they actually fart it out later to help with their digestion and buoyancy. I have 3 Dojos in a community tank and had 2 others who passed. I currently have them in water a little on the hot end of their temperature range and what this does is speeds up their metabolism, stresses them a bit and shortens their life span. When I am able to I will move mine into a species only tank-or I will add some white clouds to the tank with them. Dojos are awesome loaches-very personable, super active, love to hammock in anything and often the males will do "push ups" with their pectorals. Females are usually much larger and have different shaped pectoral fins. You can keep them with goldfish as well since both need cooler waters and high oxygenation, with a sandy substrate. However a 55 gallon tank is stated by many as the smallest that should be used for Dojos-they are super active guys.

Here is a good write up on them that I found after I got my first 3. My first was also an impulse buy in the store-never thought they got as big as mine.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres.../DojoLoach.php
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunityGuy View Post
    Hi Im new here just made an account.
    Hello and welcome to the AC. I am leaving this note here in case you might return to read it. I do hope you might read around this forum a bit and also answer the questions that the helpful members above have asked you.

I'm sorry for your loss. If you are willing, the members here could assist you in setting up a healthy environment to keep a nice looking, healthy tank of fish. Best wishes for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi.

Welcome to the forums!

You said you got your Dojo from PetCo, and it was in with koi or goldfish. You noted the conditions were bad, but you didn't specify if only the water conditions looked bad or if the other fish the Dojo was in with looked unwell.

I doubt that PetCo quarantines new arrivals, and it could be your Dojo was ill when you purchased him/her. It certainly sounds like it.

If you get another Dojo, get it from a reputable LFS that quarantines their new arrivals. Inspect their tanks to see if the majority of them contain clean water and healthy stock.

I don't know the size of your tank, but it sounds like you have a lot of inhabitants. You should keep them in at least a 65-gallon, well filtered and well oxygenated. Get a larger tank than 65, if possible.

If you don't have a test kit, get one (API Master Test kit) and see if your tank is cycled. Do regular water changes and siphon your substrate. Always dechlorinate any new water you put into your tank, unless you have a private well and you know that water is pure and contains NO chlorines or chloramines.

While a sand substrate is ideal for Dojos, you can use small, rounded pea gravel. Just be sure the gravel has no sharp or rough edges, and don't keep coral or any other sharp-edged or jagged decorations in your tank. Smooth round rocks are fine, and Dojos like hiding places. A large plant or two, or a smooth piece of real or fake driftwood with hollow openings large enough for a Dojo to get in and out of easily is great for providing the cover that keeps them feeling secure and relaxed, and at ease.

It's normal for a Dojo loach to shoot to the surface and gulp air, then shoot back down. They can store air in their intestines, and can even live for awhile outside of water, should they escape the tank, which they might do if they're able to. Dojos are notorious escape artists, and you should have a tight fitting lid on your tank and seal up any holes not being used for air tubing or other necessary equipment.

They aren't finicky about their food, but they are bottom feeders and you should always make sure that some food reaches the substrate where they can access it. I give my three Dojos as balanced a diet as possible -- a variety of high quality foods which they gobble up when my other fish aren't fighting them for it.

As advised, keep at least three together in the tank, and keep the temperature on the cooler side.

I hope you will get more Dojos. They are fun fish, very peaceful in a community tank, and generally easy to care for.

Please come back when you can.

-- Mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a filter

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips sorry to reply so late im getting a new dojo soon not the golden one but normal ones and ill keep this post here so that i may refer to your post for later on investments the LFS is probably better too thanks for noting i requested one a week ago and its arrival should be soon. mahalo for the post.