· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default New Tank Cycling Issues

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, i'm new to this forum and haven't touched an aquarium for about 20 years. I have started an aquarium but didn't know what I was doing and now i've got a mess. I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers.

My daughter was given a beta by a friend and I wanted to do more than stick him in a jar so I bought a 10 gallon tank. I did a little research and found several compatible fish which have all worked well together. The problem is that I didn't cycle my tank first or know that you are supposed to and now i'm doing water changes constantly trying to keep my ammonia down while trying to build my biological filter with no success.

I started out with an Aqueon 10 power filter and an under gravel filter. I used API quick start trying to jump start my bacteria but after a month my aquarium stayed cloudy no matter what I did. I added a fluval canister filter and stopped using the under gravel filter and everything cleared up nicely. I talked with my local pet store and they suggested that I may have gotten a bad bottle of quick start so I tried Tetras version. After a couple weeks of adding that, I noticed my ammonia level dropping very slightly but never dropped completely.

I have now been running for two and a half months, no dead fish, crystal clear tank, feeding only what they will eat in a few minutes every other day, doing partial water changes every couple days and still getting sky high ammonia readings.

I have not changed my filter media and only rinsed out in old tank water to avoid damaging my bio filter.

Any ideas!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    How many fish? Also which fluval canister?

Likely not performing large enough water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    to AC.
    Not cycling a tank is a common mistake and the big box pet stores do not provide the best info. They are more about selling products. It sounds like you have already learned a lot and are making good choices is treating the tank.
    A few suggestions that I can add...use Seachem Prime as a water conditioner to be added to all water changes. It will remove chlorine in the water and also help reduce the ammonia. Also, Seachem Stability can be added at each water change (WC). This will help your good bacteria to grow. I have not had good results with any of the quick start products to cycle a tank.
    I would also invest in an API Master Test kit for freshwater. Doing your own tests is key. All of these products can be found on Amazon much cheaper than the pet stores.
    Others here will have more info but keeping up with the WCs is essential . It is also helpful for us to know the exact ammonia/nitrite/nitrate numbers and what other fish you have in this tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    How many fish? Also which fluval canister?

Likely not performing large enough water changes.
    I have 1 male beta, 4 orange tetras, 9 neon tetras and a cory cat.

Filter is Fluval external 206 can filter.

water changes have been 30 to 75% each time. this reduces the ammonia down to around 0.25 to 1 ppm but it's back up to around 8 in two days if I don't change the water.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    to AC.
    Not cycling a tank is a common mistake and the big box pet stores do not provide the best info. They are more about selling products. It sounds like you have already learned a lot and are making good choices is treating the tank.
    A few suggestions that I can add...use Seachem Prime as a water conditioner to be added to all water changes. It will remove chlorine in the water and also help reduce the ammonia. Also, Seachem Stability can be added at each water change (WC). This will help your good bacteria to grow. I have not had good results with any of the quick start products to cycle a tank.
    I would also invest in an API Master Test kit for freshwater. Doing your own tests is key. All of these products can be found on Amazon much cheaper than the pet stores.
    Others here will have more info but keeping up with the WCs is essential . It is also helpful for us to know the exact ammonia/nitrite/nitrate numbers and what other fish you have in this tank.
    Thanks for the information.

I have 1 male beta, 4 orange tetras, 9 neon tetras and a cory cat.

water changes have been 30 to 75% each time. this reduces the ammonia down to around 0.25 to 1 ppm but it's back up to around 8 in two days if I don't change the water. I have been testing for nitrites and nitrates and they remain at 0.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

You are going to be doing a fish-in cycle, get the Prime and the master test kit if you haven't already, and follow the instructions here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

This is very helpful when doing water changes: https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC

Have a look at the 10G journal in my sig below, I started out in the hobby in a situation very similar to yours, and was given great advice
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Ah well maintain water changes daily to keep ammonia down. Also Prime is the best product out there in my opinion. It will detoxify ammonia for fish but still leave it available for nitrobacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Ah well maintain water changes daily to keep ammonia down. Also Prime is the best product out there in my opinion. It will detoxify ammonia for fish but still leave it available for nitrobacteria.
    Thanks for the info Amazon Joe. I will continue with water changes and i've got prime on the way.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

You are going to be doing a fish-in cycle, get the Prime and the master test kit if you haven't already, and follow the instructions here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

This is very helpful when doing water changes: https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC

Have a look at the 10G journal in my sig below, I started out in the hobby in a situation very similar to yours, and was given great advice
    Hey SlapHppy7, sounds like i'm repeating everything you did when you started. Thanks so much for the links. This is all great information and I am enjoying reading through your journal. I have already learned a lot.

I have ordered the suggested seachem products and I think i'm going to order a python. So there is no problem with dumping chlorinated tap water directly into the tank? I read that you can throw in some dechlor before refilling but does that remove the chlorine fast enough to protect the fish and any bacteria that I have built up?

Thanks for all the help