· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This one's on the house... - Slaphppy7   

Default Live food vs bacteries and parasites

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I just got the recommendation of not feeding my discus with too many variety of live food, and specially do not feed with earthworms.

I just have the doubt as I have seen a lot of documentation, use in fish farming, successful cases, breeders using it, etc. Is there any case in the real experience where somebody is sure that there is a real risk?.

I have been feeding with zophobas worms, artemia, daphnia and earthworms since years and never had an issue. Do you think I should worry about it?. My discus are big and healthy. I have noticed that the behaviour and the color improves a lot specially with the earthworm.

Also, I have the theory that the defenses of the fish should be enough. They eat worms and variety of live food in the wild, why then they are not affected?.

In any case, I cut them all in smaller pieces and I wash them with tap water, removing all the dirty. Chlorine of the tap water should help too. My theory is that this even is not necessary (I do it anyway because of the size of their mouth), as the fish itself has defenses, in one hand, the parasites of the earthworm dont affect to the fish judging for the results and information available, and the bacteries the food may have are treated by the defenses of the fish. I think a healthy fish should have an health inmune system, which should be capable to resist some bacteria. Also, even the beef heart should not be 100% innocuous, as it will release organic matter to be discomposed, causing maybe a similar effect. Correct?. Water quality and stress should be the main causes of a desease, not the only ones, but the most important for sure.

I know there should be some that really affect to the fish, specially parasites, but I dont think it is the case of every single live food.

What are your thoughts?. Thanks!
    Last edited by Donethur; 11-25-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This one's on the house... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have to correct something. I use earthworm since four months. Other live food for years. Also i know discus are more sensitive to bacteria than other fish. My theory is that the amount of bacteries is the key, they can resist certain amount of them, and this doesnt add enough.
    Rgds