· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Cool water shrimp that eat diatoms?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking for a species of cooler water freshwater shrimp that includes diatoms in its algae eating. A larger species would be best, so my dojos are less likely to feast on it. I currently have nerite snails in the tank, but the diatom problem is so widespread those few alone aren't going to make a huge dent in it. A little help from some shrimp would be nice, and they would also add interest to the tank, as my 65 currently has no shrimp in it. I guess I could transfer some Amanos over from my 20, but do they eat diatoms?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry the nerite snails aren't making a dent :( They always did a great job in my tanks, but I wipe any diatoms away first, that way the nerite snails just have to eat the algae that reoccurs. Diatoms should come off easily with a sponge. Or sometimes, I'll just wipe it off the leaves of plants with my fingers and let it settle on the substrate where all the snails can eat it up easier.

I think amanos DO eat filamentous types of algae, which is great, and I would assume they'd eat diatoms, but I'm really not sure.

Maybe you could try a caridina species shrimp. They like colder water and grow a bit bigger than neocaridina shrimp.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    But if you really want to see a quick difference, the bushynose pleco does a really good job at keeping my whole 40g really clean of brown algae. Even the whole bottom glass, the tank has no substrate (bare-bottom). But he does poop A LOT!

I've never had success keeping these, but oto catfish are supposed to be the best at eating up those diatoms.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For maybe knowing my SIL ;) - Rue   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I also would suggest Otto cats! If they are healthy when you buy them and have lots to eat, they will flourish in your tank! Also their main diet is diatoms!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've looked into Ottos. They are strictly tropical and need much warmer water.

Are the caridina shrimp a cooler water species? And, are they peaceful and non-predatory in a community tank? I can't have any that will prey upon my dojos or other fish.

I shall research the bushynose plecos to see if my tank conditions are right for them. If they have to have a lot of wood to eat, they wouldn't be suitable in my tank.

The only reason my nerites aren't making a bigger dent is that I only have five of them right now, and it will simply take a lot more to do a better job. I might still just go that route.

It would be interesting to have shrimp in that tank, though. I have red cherries and amanos in my 20, and they're fun to watch.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What are you considering cooler water? I suspect that if you have a diatom algae problem most shrimp will not like your water parameters! Off the top of my head I can only think of one shrimp that do not mind lower temperatures. I am not sure if it is available where you live. The Indian Zebra shrimp will strive in waters 60 to 78 degrees. Not sure if it eats diatoms thought!
    On another note, bristlenose plecos do need wood in their diet! However you can substitute with Repashy superfoods "Mornig Wood" gel mix.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabor129 View Post
    I Also their main diet is diatoms!

From my research and experience, algae is their main food source.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is, including slime algae! Which diatoms are! That is why Ottos hang out on the glass of the tank where there is no visible algae growth. Check out the wiki page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom