· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with William.

I miss my Eureka red. He was absolutely gorgeous, too.
    Last edited by AABatteries; 02-11-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Things go from bad to worse he is potentially having to sell his home....everyone send some good vibes so that doesn't happen :)
    Oh wow, that's not good...poor guy
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

3 Not allowed!
    I picked up a batch of seven new peacocks and friends from my LFS. They don't have nearly the selection Sandz was able to offer but they did have enough to fill out a new group. I actually have two tanks at work now - the 125g in a common area and a 10g for quarantine on my desk.

Six of the seven were active and boisterous and have been taken to the display now. The seventh looked good in the store but started hiding more and more in the QT tank. I've left him behind to see how he does by himself. He reminds me a lot of my electric blue acara that stopped eating in my 300g tank but is doing well now in a tank with smaller fish.

Anyhow, here's some pictures of the 125g.

Feeding time is a good time to get fish pictures. Almost all the cichlids are visible here, plus - if you look very hard - one of the catfish.

Speaking of the catfish - I've got four of them at this point. Two look nearly identical, one has larger but fewer spots, and one is a lighter shade of gray. I suspect they are not all the same species of Synodontis. I need to take pictures and let you wise forum folk share your thoughts on that but it's tricky. They live in the rocks all day except when the food comes down, then they make hit and run attacks and disappear again.

Two of the new arrivals - a Blue Dolphin and a Venustus. I had a blue dolphin in the initial batch but it was one of the first ones I lost. The Venustus is new. Also featuring one of the members of the Won't Change Color club. I'm starting to wonder if members of the club are actually female, which could be problematic.

The rocks are starting to get covered with some brown and green algae. Nobody has complained yet but I suspect it may be coming. Not sure how to deal with it - stronger lighting to encourage more plant growth? The lighting on this tank right now is only a pair of 2', single T8 light fixtures. The plants are growing a bit but obviously not out-competing the algae.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Newbies look good, lot of color for the Boss, lol. Have you thought of adding some Excel to the tank? It will help the plants and work as an algacide. Do the dosage for the tank on a daily basis, or spot treat the worse off areas and then continue with the Excel.

Or if that isn't an option, could you add a bunch of nerite snails to the tank (like 6-10), or some algae eating cichlids?
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Have you thought of adding some Excel to the tank? It will help the plants and work as an algacide. Do the dosage for the tank on a daily basis, or spot treat the worse off areas and then continue with the Excel.
    Hadn't really thought about excel, it's been several years since I tried using it (and learned the hard way that it melts some plant species). You think that would work well in this situation? I could certainly dose five days a week, anyhow.

Or if that isn't an option, could you add a bunch of nerite snails to the tank (like 6-10), or some algae eating cichlids?
    I do like nerite snails. If they take care of the algae, we could go from "what is all that brown stuff on the rocks?" to "what are all those white dots on the background?" . Wonder if the fish will harass them. They're probably worth a try though!

Not sure if there is a cichlid that would go after this kind of algae and be compatible with what's in there now.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Do nerite snails eat diatoms?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like you have anubias and Java in there-they will handle the Excel just fine. Excel says to dose so much the first day and then so much (less) the next day or third day-well ignore that and go the full strength dose every day for the first week. If you can (dunno how deep the tank is) try and get the dose-or treat the worst rocks by putting the initial Excel dose there. Maybe if you have a long pvc pipe you can "aim" the Excel there.

Nerites will love the green algae I see on the rocks, its what I had growing on my background way back when and they did a great job removing the green tinge from it. Unfortunately the white eggs are a by-product, but maybe a cichlid will thing they are a tasty snack-or they will blend into the rocks? My nerrites haven't often laid eggs on the glass-but on the rocks and driftwood.

Aquatic Arts is in Indiana and they have some nice nerite packages of 5-if you get a variety of 5 you may just luck out with no pairs-not sure how close they are species wise with there different shells.

http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/fr...geNeriteSnails

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-snails
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Do nerite snails eat diatoms?
    They always did a great job of it in my goldfish tank.

Nerites will love the green algae I see on the rocks, its what I had growing on my background way back when and they did a great job removing the green tinge from it. Unfortunately the white eggs are a by-product, but maybe a cichlid will thing they are a tasty snack-or they will blend into the rocks? My nerrites haven't often laid eggs on the glass-but on the rocks and driftwood.
    Funny story - when I bought the 3D background for my 300g tank four years ago, I started by buying a smaller background for a 10g tank to see how I liked it. I put that in a betta tank that had a nerite snail in it. When the betta died I shut down the tank, left it dry for a couple years. I'm using that background now in my QT tank here, and it's STILL covered in nerite snail eggs. The things are indestructible.

I think I will give the nerites a try. They could add a bit of interest to the tank as they do their thing.

I do like the pack you listed from Aquatic Arts but it's probably smarter to pick them up locally so I don't have to pay shipping, especially with this frigid March weather we're having. It's generally not hard to find them at my LFS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah that's is a great idea too. The couple times I bought them from the lfs they were DOA cause they pulled them from the sand. Plus my lfs charges $5.99-$8.00 depending on the variety.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Keep it simple, and let your co-workers know that the brown and green stuff on the rocks give it a more natural feel. Have you ever seen polished rocks in a low water current setting?
    Last edited by Rocksor; 03-15-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast