· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

Default Brhino's Office Africans

4 Not allowed!

Eureka Red Peacock. Tentative name: King Piggy.

New tank, new journal!

I work for a small company in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Our facility is a mix of laboratory and office space, and lately we've been sprucing up the office a little. The CEO decided we should get a fish tank for the enjoyment of employees and visitors, and since I've got experience I got the task. So for the first time, I'm setting up a fish tank on somebody else's dime. It's a good deal, if you can get it.

The Tank

Tank as shown above is prior to addition of water.

The tank is a standard 125 gallon glass aquarium from Petsmart - 6 feet long, 2 feet tall, 18 inches front-to-back. I'm using a Fluval FX6 for filtration and Eheim Jager heaters. The lights are currently what came with the petsmart kit - two fixtures, each with a single 3' T8 bulb. I might upgrade those later.
    The background is a custom 3D rock background from Universal Rocks. The hardscape is Texas Holy Rock, and the substrate is black sand. I do not recall the brand but it's standard fish store stuff.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    The Fish

I knew that I wanted to stock african cichlids, because I haven't kept them before (I always want to try something new with a new tank) and they're bright and colorful. I also knew that I didn't know enough to put together a decent stock list. So I did some asking around, read lots of conflicting information, and eventually settled on relying on Aquatic Community member Sandz for advice. It's fair to say at this point that the stock list for the tank is his creation based on my feedback, rather than the other way around.

We created a list that essentially is Malawi Peacocks, and fish that can be expected to get along with Malawi peacocks. There are 24 cichlids, plus 6 Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish, all shipped here from Florida by Sandz.

The syno cats do not generally like coming out of the rockwork for photos.

There were intended to be 24 different species/colorations of cichlid, but he included an extra of one species, and one individual unfortunately did not survive the shipping process.

The Eureka Red pictured in the first post is thus far the boss of the tank. He is the biggest and most outgoing. In fact, if anyone walks by he immediately zooms to the top of the tank and prepares to receive food. I have to work to make sure he doesn't get to eat everything put in the tank.

The fish are all still quite young, and many are showing little to no indication of their adult colors. This makes identification of them difficult. For example:

The yellow fish is a yellow lab. That's easy enough. The other one? I honestly don't know. Maybe if I were more familiar with the species I have, I could tell you, but at this point I can't.

This one is also not showing much coloration, but at least the stripes are distinctive. I believe this may be a "VC-10" Placidochromis milomo, but I'm not certain.

Of the 24 cichlids, I believe I can identify 12. The other dozen are all sort of generic looking silver and black fish.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

6 Not allowed!

The fish have got a lot of growing and maturing to do, and plenty of space to do it in. I'm enjoying keeping an eye on them and watching for little hints of their adult colors. Just yesterday one of the little black fish suddenly had a blotch of yellow behind the head, indicating it's a Bicolor Peacock, and will someday have alternating areas of bright yellow and blue.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Great pictures and that water is clear now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Yes! I forgot to mention that, because there was a whole other thread about it. In the interest of keeping all the info in this thread:

After setting up the tank, the water started to become cloudy, even before adding fish. It was most likely a bacterial bloom. I have tried various things to clear it, and it seems to be settling down. The water isn't crystal clear but it's only faintly cloudy.

I am currently running an extra AC110 filter on the FRONT of the aquarium with extra pillow batting and purigen, which is unsightly. I plan to take that down soon. I'll see how much of the purigen and batting I can fit into the canister, so as not to lose whatever bacteria may have been growing on it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    What a beautiful tank! You've done a terrific job in putting this all together -- I do hope your boss and coworkers all appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for pointing out and discussing the changes in the Bicolor Peacock -- that is a beauty! It sounds so neat to be able to watch them grow up and mature in your (office's) tank. I'm looking forward to any of those sorts of continuing observations, if you would be so kind to share them. What you've got going is a dream come true and I'm very happy for you. For me, it is more of a daydream fantasy, so I'll just vicariously ooo and ahhh while I try my best not to drool on the keyboard.

Nice photos, by the way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Rivers said it the best. Awesome tank, love the Africans, and I will be following along to watch the fish grow up. Thanks for sharing!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone. I'll try to keep up with the photos. The camera I'm using here at work is different than the one I have at home. On the plus side it takes very detailed photos. On the down side the auto focus seems to be having trouble figuring out when I'm pointing at the fish, so the pictures don't always come out in focus.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Super! :D :D
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed