· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   For peein on my parade ;} - smaug   

Default Green Hair like algae

0 Not allowed!
    40 gallon bow front, two t5 lights, small led strip, co2, dose with excel and flourish, surface skimmer, uv sterilizer, lights on for 10 hours a day.

6 otos, 6 Amano shrimp(maybe less can't find them in the plants), 1 flag fish, those are my natural algae control and I still have problems.

I do 10 gallon water change at least once a week, usually around every 5-6 days. I use distilled water, add my minerals back in, excel, flourish, and prime.

Every water change I trim leaves that are heavily covered the in the algae to try and control it, but by the time the next water change comes leaves that did not have algae, are now covered in it.

This picture pretty much shows what the algae is, my electric blue ram is pretty much pointing right at it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your cycle! - Boundava   Congrats on your new fish! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same exact issue!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    What you guys seem to have is the short fussy green hair algae called Oedogonium. It is due to low CO2 and nutrients.
    I would up your dosage of Excel to every day, and try adding Flourish in the middle of the week, how long of a photoperiod do you have?

This is a handy algae guide

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

I had a very bad issue with bba algae in my 75 gallon, to fix the problem I treated the worse plants by cutting the leaves off the affected plants (mainly anubias) and treating the rhizomes and roots to a peroxide spray while I was doing a water change and the plants were emersed. Ever since then I have been dosing Excel to my tank at 40ml every day to keep the bba away. I also have a pressurized CO2 system set up and have had no ill effects from this dosing to my fish, amano shrimp or snails. I also add dry fertilizers daily following the EI system.

I am now going through a smaller green coarse algae in my shrimp tanks and have removed as much as I physically could and am dosing-to a smaller extent of 2.5 ml every other day, with Excel as well as adding Flourish twice a week, once after WC and then 3 days after that. It is keeping it away, it stays that way.

Algae isn't fun at all, sometimes its very hit and miss (and curses and ) before it looks like your making an impact.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your cycle! - Boundava   Congrats on your new fish! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    What you guys seem to have is the short fussy green hair algae called Oedogonium. It is due to low CO2 and nutrients.
    I would up your dosage of Excel to every day, and try adding Flourish in the middle of the week, how long of a photoperiod do you have?

This is a handy algae guide

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

I had a very bad issue with bba algae in my 75 gallon, to fix the problem I treated the worse plants by cutting the leaves off the affected plants (mainly anubias) and treating the rhizomes and roots to a peroxide spray while I was doing a water change and the plants were emersed. Ever since then I have been dosing Excel to my tank at 40ml every day to keep the bba away. I also have a pressurized CO2 system set up and have had no ill effects from this dosing to my fish, amano shrimp or snails. I also add dry fertilizers daily following the EI system.

I am now going through a smaller green coarse algae in my shrimp tanks and have removed as much as I physically could and am dosing-to a smaller extent of 2.5 ml every other day, with Excel as well as adding Flourish twice a week, once after WC and then 3 days after that. It is keeping it away, it stays that way.

Algae isn't fun at all, sometimes its very hit and miss (and curses and ) before it looks like your making an impact.
    Would I absolutely need a Co2 system? Would liquid Co2 work?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you really don't want to use pressurized co2, you'd most likely need to reduce your lighting- the intensity, phototoperiod, or try adding a siesta.

You would probably need to sacrifice colour in your plants as well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    If you really don't want to use pressurized co2, you'd most likely need to reduce your lighting- the intensity, phototoperiod, or try adding a siesta.

You would probably need to sacrifice colour in your plants as well.
    I can't swing store-bought Co2 but I could add a DIY setup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah I use the Excel which is a liquid CO2 alternative. I use that in my smaller tanks as well as the 75 which has the pressurized CO2 as well. Bonus with Excel is that adding it consistently (every-every other day) will also make it an algacide. Now some plants don't like Excel-so check that before you use it.

You can use Excel in 2 ways-directions say to use a double dose after a water change and then add half that dose every day or every other day for the remainder of the week. I use the full dose daily in the 75 gallon, the bba stays away and I am going to experiment with using the half dose but hesitate because I don't want to see that darn bba coming back (tank was a disgusting mess). Lol I buy my Excel by the liter, matter of fact I am down to 1/4 liter so time to check the prices and re-order.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Btw, nice female EB ram :) :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Yeah I use the Excel which is a liquid CO2 alternative. I use that in my smaller tanks as well as the 75 which has the pressurized CO2 as well. Bonus with Excel is that adding it consistently (every-every other day) will also make it an algacide. Now some plants don't like Excel-so check that before you use it.

You can use Excel in 2 ways-directions say to use a double dose after a water change and then add half that dose every day or every other day for the remainder of the week. I use the full dose daily in the 75 gallon, the bba stays away and I am going to experiment with using the half dose but hesitate because I don't want to see that darn bba coming back (tank was a disgusting mess). Lol I buy my Excel by the liter, matter of fact I am down to 1/4 liter so time to check the prices and re-order.
    Excel can be an algaecide? Excellent.

I wouldn't mind doing DIY Co2 again but I could not get the bubble count quite right.

Thanks for the info!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    RE: DIY CO2, yeast CO2 can be tricky and can lead to issues as well. The levels of CO2 can fluctuate based on the age of the yeast, also it can be a mess if something goes wrong.

I started my CO2 adventures with a DIY system. Built it like many do following online instructions and YouTube videos.
    Attachment 51294
    The bulkheads need to be added to plastic pop lids and if you don't prep them right and add a heck of a lot of silicone this is an area where it can fail. Also if you look in the photo it has 2 check valves-there should be a third on leading to the tank.

I set my system up and within a week (in my brand new craigslist used 55 gallon with mdf/pressboard stand that I had painted all except the very underneath of the stand) the bulkheads popped and during the day about 20 gallons of tank water has siphoned out of the tank as well as the yeasty water in the bottles. It destroyed my stand and left my fish in 4 Rubbermaid tubs for a month till I got my current stand set u, a background finished and upgraded to a 75 gallon instead, much better than a 55 in my opinion.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore