· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    it starts as a light film but it's there. There was string algae until I upped the carbon and iron. I wipe it off every other day with a Mr. Clean magic eraser(best thing in the world). I bring back snails like the ones in the link below from the rainbow river everytime I go. Those long rainbow fish in the school also come from the river but I don't know their name nor does anyone I've shown them too. I also caught this glowing blue fish last september on vaca but I've never in my life seen it before so I let it go thinking it might only exist there. I also have 3 khulis, 2 banded ghost shrimp from the river and 3 orange dwarf mexican lobsters cleaning up the bottom.

supposedly 2 female German blues, 1 male german and I don't know about the electric blue. I'm waiting on another shipment of the electric blues. I'd love to try to breed and sell them. May as well make some $$ with my hobby right?

http://www.polidiotic.com/images/75gal/rabbit1.jpg

If you look hard at the plant(now gone) behind the RAM you'll see small hair algae which doesn't bother me. If you look on the side panel you'll see haze. That's the start of the algae that's plaguing me. There are little javas on the end of most of the long leafs. They're ugly as all hell. I might just remove the whole thing since it doesn't like my high lighting.
    20161104_180405.jpg
    Last edited by imp0ster; 11-16-2016 at 11:34 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I ripped up the java and replaced it with two other beautiful plants I'll snap a picture of Sunday. I decreased the photo period by 30 minutes. The addition of two large, hungrier plants should help quite a bit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I see the algae now. Does the hazy algae wipe off easily? A friend of mine had this hard hazy algae on his glass, it wasn't really green but more grey. Neither one of us could figure out what exactly it was. It was very hard to scape off, but his ramshorn snails were eating it. Nerite snails would be better at getting the job done.

I think removing algae infected plants/leaves with that hair algae as much as you can is a good idea, as well as adding more plants (if you can). Stem plants and/or floating plants are always the best types for out-competing algae.

I can't grow anubias or java fern in higher light tanks. They only get covered with algae. I look for faster growing stem plants, whichever type does well in any particular tank.

You might have to further reduce the photoperiod until you get some faster growing plants, but 30 mins is a start.

You've got a lovely female electric blue ram. I've breed them before, I had a difficult time, but good luck, your ram's are beautiful! I want to breed my new pair again too! They like to breed on flat rocks. Have any of them shown any interest in pairing up yet? I wonder what would be the outcome if your male GBR chooses your EBR to breed with? I bet some beautiful baby rams!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-18-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ok, I see the algae now. Does the hazy algae wipe off easily? A friend of mine had this hard hazy algae on his glass, it wasn't really green but more grey. Neither one of us could figure out what exactly it was. It was very hard to scape off, but his ramshorn snails were eating it. Nerite snails would be better at getting the job done.

I think removing algae infected plants/leaves with that hair algae as much as you can is a good idea, as well as adding more plants (if you can). Stem plants and/or floating plants are always the best types for out-competing algae.

I can't grow anubias or java fern in higher light tanks. They only get covered with algae. I look for faster growing stem plants, whichever type does well in any particular tank.

You might have to further reduce the photoperiod until you get some faster growing plants, but 30 mins is a start.

You've got a lovely female electric blue ram. I've breed them before, I had a difficult time, but good luck, your ram's are beautiful! I want to breed my new pair again too! They like to breed on flat rocks. Have any of them shown any interest in pairing up yet? I wonder what would be the outcome if your male GBR chooses your EBR to breed with? I bet some beautiful baby rams!
    Down to 8hrs a day, 18 tiger nerite snails. EBR died after one of the GBRs took a bite out of it. I have 3 more EBRs on the way, added another piece of driftwood in case the rams do mate. I was using 50/50 RO and tap then cranked up the CO2 only to have the largest explosion of algae known to man. Yesterday I leveled out the the co2 and did 6 gallons RO and 2 gallons filtered tap. No new algae but it's been 24 hours. Still this is the best I've been able to manage so far. There are new fast growing plants on the back right side. PH is level at 7.0. Raised the temp from 72 to 76

As for the algae the magic eraser does a good job at removing it but it is still tedious. Anything besides the eraser required hard scrubbing

20161213_113602.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost a ram :( I'm glad you found more though.

Not sure why cranking up the co2 would cause a big algae outbreak, unless it was filamentous and the fluctuation of co2 angered it.

So after all that work, the algae is better? Your new plant looks nice, is a water column feeding plant, but if you can, I'd still add more plants to outcompete any algae, but also to give more territory spots for your rams. Adding driftwood is good :)

If they DO breed, it will be on flat rocks like slate placed flat on the substrate, just to let you know.

Your tank looks great though. I'm glad it's the best it's been in a while, I really hope it stays that way. Keep up with your water changes, wipe the glass with a sponge with each water change (at least one wall-the front). Get any algae forming right away instead of letting it accumulate and hardening.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-13-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just caught the temp you're keeping your tank at. Rams do much better in a higher temperature. I wouldn't let the temp go lower than 78f for rams. If you do raise it a couple extra degrees, do so slowly.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And what is 'filtered' tap water? It's not running through a softener is it?
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    And what is 'filtered' tap water? It's not running through a softener is it?
    thanks I'll bump the temp up a bit more. filterd is just run through a .3 micron particle filter. No softener anywhere. I'm breaking pieces off that fast growing plant in the right corner and placing them against the back wall. they'll fill in pretty quick. I noticed I can also let them float on the top of the water and they're happy there so I might let 5 or 6 do that