· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Exclamation HELP! ~ Male Crowntail Betta Keeps Sinking?!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone! Just wanna point out that I'm new here, and new to posting on forums.. but here goes nothing.

As you can tell from the title, my Betta keeps sinking. He'll dart to the top of the tank when grabbing air- and even jump out of the water in order to grab some. Then, he would immediately sink to the bottom like a rock. His back fins tend to float, and his belly drags on the bottom of the tank. Originally, he was in a 5 gall tank with 2 silk plants and 2 decorations, but we transferred him into the container we got him in (super small), in order to try and help him eat the pea (we tried last night for 3 hours, with no success). His abdomen is swollen, and his back fins rise up when he tries to swim around or just lay there and rest for a bit. Whenever he would swim up for air, he'd sink immediately after. We ruled out all infections/disorders/diseases except Swim Bladder.

As for trying different treatments for my Betta, he hasn't really been eating at all for the past few days, so fasting is happening on its own. I tried again today, to give him the pea, and it won't float. He seems to get excited when he sees it up above, and looks like he tries to swim up; but can't. Instead he just swims in circles in the container- but only around the outer edges. Last night I bought API General Cure, but haven't tried it out because I don't know if it'll even work for SBD.

Not sure what to do. Feel free to ask me any other questions. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this post. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    How did you cycle the tank? Also what is the filtration?
    Hey Joe, thanks for the response!

I don't think I have cycled the tank properly, but right now I'm letting the heater warm up the 5 gal till it's in the green because the container he's in right now doesn't have any filtration/heating system and I'm scared that he's getting cold.

However, in my 5 gal I have a whisper filter and a heater that's supposed to regulate 78 degrees Fahrenheit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Well best thing you can do right now is keep the water free of ammonia that will build up. You must replace a portion of the water fairly often since its only 5g I'd say at minimum 50% a day. Make sure to be using a water conditioner like Prime from Seachem due to the fact it will neutralize chlorine/chloramines in tap water. It will also detoxify ammomia for up to 48hours.

What model whisper filter? Is upgrading tanks and filtration an option for you budget wise?

The larger the volume the longer it takes ammonia to build to toxic levels allowing plenty of time to stay on top of water changes until the beneficial bacteria grow.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 11-16-2016 at 10:37 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Well best thing you can do right now is keep the water free of ammonia that will build up. You must replace a portion of the water fairly often since its only 5g I'd say at minimum 50% a day. Make sure to be using a water conditioner like Prime from Seachem due to the fact it will neutralize chlorine/chloramines in tap water. It will also detoxify ammomia for up to 48hours.

What model whisper filter? Is upgrading tanks and filtration an option for you budget wise?

The larger the volume the longer it takes ammonia to build to toxic levels allowing plenty of time to stay on top of water changes until the beneficial bacteria grow.
    When I went to a local pet store to see if they had Prime, I decided not to get it because it's better for much bigger tanks than my own. I think I read on the bottle that it was for something like 10g tanks, and mine is half of that. So I feel like measuring that out will be fairly difficult. Should I be doing 50% water changes daily till I see changes, or try my luck with the General Cure I bought last night? I'm not sure if it'll work for SBD (which is what it seems to be what he has).

As for the Whisper filter, it came with the tank but I believe the model is: Tetra Whisper 2-10i Power Filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrightmeow View Post
    the container he's in right now doesn't have any filtration/heating system and I'm scared that he's getting cold.
    Welcome to the AC

That will only make matters worse, get him back in the 5.5G and get the temp to 78-80F...do a large WC in the 5.5G, but leave the filter alone, you'll be doing a fish-in cycle

You need a liquid test kit, and the Prime as mentioned above...and the tenacity to do many water changes over the next few weeks

Study and follow this thread closely, and post back with any questions you have

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrightmeow View Post
    When I went to a local pet store to see if they had Prime, I decided not to get it because it's better for much bigger tanks than my own. I think I read on the bottle that it was for something like 10g tanks, and mine is half of that. So I feel like measuring that out will be fairly difficult. Should I be doing 50% water changes daily till I see changes, or try my luck with the General Cure I bought last night? I'm not sure if it'll work for SBD (which is what it seems to be what he has).

As for the Whisper filter, it came with the tank but I believe the model is: Tetra Whisper 2-10i Power Filter.
    Get the Prime, and get a medicinal syringe, they're marked in increments of ml...you can get them free from your pharmacy, or cheaply from the dollar stores

You will dose .5 ml each water change...it is not difficult at all with the syringe

Don't use the General Cure just yet
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC

That will only make matters worse, get him back in the 5.5G and get the temp to 78-80F...do a large WC in the 5.5G, but leave the filter alone, you'll be doing a fish-in cycle

You need a liquid test kit, and the Prime as mentioned above...and the tenacity to do many water changes over the next few weeks

Study and follow this thread closely, and post back with any questions you have

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Thanks for the response! Alright, I've posted on another forum to get more opinions, and multiple people told me to do 50% water changes daily, so I think I might just do that and keep you guys posted if I see any changes.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

0 Not allowed!
    ~UPDATE~

Since the last time I posted, I had tried to do epsom salt dips with him to try and see if it was actually SBD. A lot of people said that when they did these dips, that they worked almost immediately. With Spidey, it kinda worked? The first and second times, I added 1tsp rather than 1tbsp/gal. These two times, he didn't really act that different. In the bath, (I did it in his old 3.5 gal tank, nothing on the bottom, and he seemed to be pretty active during the 12 mins I kept him in there). I mean, he seemed more active in his proper tank- and by active I mean he was dragging himself along the bottom of the tank, swimming like a spastic ant. I tried a third time, this time with 2tsp of epsom salt, and it didn't do much. He was somewhat active in the dip, but was mostly just chilling in a corner, or trying to swim towards one.

As doing these epsom salt dips didn't seem to be working, i opted to try some medication, as it seemed to be bacterial rather than just SBD itself. He's on his second round/half of Tetracycline, and it seemed to be working a little- the first dose, but now he's back to his lethargic state. Which is occasionally spaz swimming along the bottom of the tank, doing bunny hops. He hasn't eaten since... I wanna say the 11th of November, and I'm pretty sure if I can't cure him from this Bacterial SBD, he's gonna die from starvation.
    I'm also thinking of continuing this second part of the treatment and if I don't see anything change, I'll add the carbon filter back in, do a 25-50% water change, then try the epsom salt dips again. He's still pretty attentive to things, and looks around, but doesn't really respond to much anymore. The only times he'll move is if he gets scared when I put something on the desk, even if I do it gently.

With all this being said, I thought I'd try to get your guys' opinion on this new situation. I'm starting to lose hope, as I've done everything I can, and nothing seems to be working.

-Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my past post, but this is my first Betta fish, so I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys might be (regardless of all the research I've done trying to diagnose the lil guy)-

tldr; my fish is still at the bottom of the tank and hasn't eaten since the 11th of November. Epsom salt dips along with Tetracyline seem to be doing nothing for him. I need help trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks for taking the time and reading this. Hope you can help me as best as you can; it's greatly appreciated. :)