· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Breeding Neolamprologus brichardi with other tanganyikans

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone. Recently, I asked an LFS near me what fish they are looking for, so I know what to breed. They requested either angels or purebred african cichlids. I decided to go for neolamprologus brichardi as they don't require multiple tanks and aren't too hard to breed. Is there any other tanganyikan that can be bred in the same tank(I will use a 29g high or a 40g breeder), such as shell dwellers or rock dwellers (julidochromis or altolamprologus)? Also, would texas holey rock work with these fish? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    Brichardi really need to be kept in a species tank unless it's a 6-7' tank. Years ago I had a group of a similar species in a 55 with other Africans. First spawn was no problem Second and third spawns things started getting crowded, because the fry from the first spawn were too small to move along, but were expanding the colony's territory. The larger/older fry actually help protect the smaller fry, and size differences (among other species) notwithstanding they keep pushing the other fish back as the colony grows.
    The problem becomes a matter of the other fish being confined to the corners of the tank, and they will eventually simply die from stress if the brichardi keep going.
    Texas holey rock is limestone. Looks pretty, but you can use any limestone to get the same buffering action for the pH, and generally for a lot less $$ than the holey rock.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. What substrate do you recommend? Would regular aquarium sand suffice? Also, would a sponge filter rated for 125 gallons be acceptable in this setup? Finally, does this stock look okay?
    3-6X Neolamprologus brichardi
    4X Synodontis nigriventris