· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Fish bowl help

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fish bowl help

0 Not allowed!

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this.
    Okey so I got this 12l fish bowl with a betta inside it because I wanted to get into it and I love the vide I get from it plus it relaxes me, but I didn't want to get anything bigger because I do not have the time and money for such a hobby. The guys at the fish store from whom I bought it from kinda helped me on some aspects of it but not quite.
    At this time I have inside my bowl:
    Aquarium soil by tropica
    A air pump with a medium sized filter
    A heater that keeps water temperature at 26 situated under the substate
    A betta halfmoon
    Hydrocotyle leucephala
    Hygrophila polysperma
    Hemianthus glomeratus
    Pogostemon erectus
    And eliocharis vivipara mini I think so.

As for water quality i use a dechlorination solution and a fertilizer by dennerle
    While hygrophilla and hydrocotyle and the rug(which hasn't grow but is green) seem to be fine and growing the other two are not that healthy especially pogostemon. What should I do?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I also keep a led lamp on it for about 6-8h/day

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

To be honest, the "bowl" you have that betta in is much too small, bettas need at minimum a 5 gallon tank, 12L is only about 3 gallons.

You could keep shrimp in it, but no fish.

If you "didn't want to get anything bigger because I do not have the time and money for such a hobby", then maybe it's not the best hobby for you, frankly.

Proper fishkeeping takes time, patience, and $, all of which are well worth the effort in keeping happy and healthy fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    As sad as it sounds a larger tank is needed to help the Betta have a happy healthy life with out being cruel to it.
    The argument of larger tank more money more time is kinda half true half not.

Larger the water volume the more easy it is to keep stable. This makes for less work in the short term and long term.
    Hunting around the shops tanks of 5-10g in size are very common and cheap $50.00NZD, thought in USA i think you get the $1.00 per gallon? Filter system fluvial u1 would work well. $100NZ so way cheaper in USA.Lighting is simple to swap out or if your like me just get high out put LED light bulbs which cost in $30.00NZD for two lights giving my 15g the right amount of light for plants.
    The last thing needed would also be a master test kit.

Of al the tanks I have, tons more coming on line in my fish room some over 130g mark. The bigger ones are ten times easier to deal with than my 15g tank.

With a 5-10g tank the Betta gets a nicer size foot print to live in. Better volume to keep the water in good condition. Room for the plants to grow. Plus better still easier to clean than a bowl.
    The hobby of fish keeping dose take time. The more you research plan and study the easier it becomes once you start. Less time needed on them as well.
    Kinda like getting a labrador, pays to read up on them. Learn the laws for keeping dogs. Learn the foods bedding excersise and training requirements.
    Fish a similar. They need research care, stable water to suit their natural habitation feeding and security.
    So please dnt feel down that it all seems hard, it really isn't.

If you have any questions please post up. We are here to help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree that a 5 g tank should be the minimum, but other than that I think you have done a good job with your set up.

Be prepared to do more water changes.

In the meantime, keep your eyes open for a larger tank. Odds are you can find one on sale. Aim for a 5 g, or a 10 g...

Go as big as you like! There is no maximum for a single betta! Part of me has wanted to set up a 75 g planted tank for a single betta...lol.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    If you put your betta in a 10-gallon tank, it's going to be like having a whole pond or lake to itself, which is great. When I see bettas confined to those tiny cups in the pet stores, I cringe to think what those poor fish are going through. And putting a betta in a 75-gallon planted, that fish will be in aquatic heaven.

Tanks can be purchased when on sale, but be sure they are well sealed. My 65 is triple-sealed as opposed to many tanks being double-sealed.

The other consideration -- do you have space for a 10-gallon or larger?

Granted, the bowl is bigger than those tiny cups, but the bigger tank your fish has, the happier he will be.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    You were asking about your plants. Perhaps if you post this in the plant forum, you might get some good information.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.