· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Flying Fox

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Valentine's to you too :) - angelcraze2   Great job on the dentist's tank! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   

Default Flying Fox

1 Not allowed!
    Hi, all. Just curious: Does anyone know why these fish are called flying foxes? I don't really see the family resemblance, do you? Where does the name come from? None of my usual sources seem to know.
    Grey-Headed-Flying-Fox-Size.jpg
    flying-fox-01.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Hi, all. Just curious: Does anyone know why these fish are called flying foxes? I don't really see the family resemblance, do you? Where does the name come from? None of my usual sources seem to know.
    Grey-Headed-Flying-Fox-Size.jpg
    flying-fox-01.jpg
    That is an interesting question, maybe it due to their foxlike reflexes? When I lived in Kansas fox would come to the fence and run back and forth to mess with the Labrador....,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    If that is Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus, then it may have to due with its nature of constant darting or flying around the aquarium, and being semi- aggressive like a red tail shark or like a fox.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Like instead of a cat-fish its a fox-fish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The name comes from the fox-like face.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Valentine's to you too :) - angelcraze2   Great job on the dentist's tank! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, the flying fox thread lives! Marc, that seems the most likely. But really, I don't see that their faces are any more fox-like than anybody else's. Sometimes I think fish dealers make up these names just so plain looking fish will sell. Real estate developers do the same thing. There's a nondescript desert subdivision (with a muddy creek running along one edge) near here called "Shadowbrook lane." Well, if you like the shadows of sagebrush, I guess.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Will I be related to the Flying Dutchman ?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

1 Not allowed!
    Sometimes I think fish dealers make up these names just so plain looking fish will sell.
    Agree. The first angelfish that really caught my attention were labeled "diamond angelfish". There's no such strain lol. Not that pearlscaled angelfish aren't pretty, but the name added to my purchase as a newbie...wow, diamond angelfish! That's just one example.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Wow, the flying fox thread lives! Marc, that seems the most likely. But really, I don't see that their faces are any more fox-like than anybody else's. Sometimes I think fish dealers make up these names just so plain looking fish will sell. Real estate developers do the same thing. There's a nondescript desert subdivision (with a muddy creek running along one edge) near here called "Shadowbrook lane." Well, if you like the shadows of sagebrush, I guess.
    They look a little similar when you see a fox up close. I had the same question a couple years ago and looked it up. That was the answer I was given. I guess it is as good as any. Interestingly, most of their kind eat fruit. There is also a fox called a bat eared fox. Guess the fox wanted to trade names!