· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm certain it's no hastatus, but all corys are cool! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with your corys - Silbar   

Question Stocking my new tank

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I posted this question in 2 another places: In one I got no feedback and on the other I got 2 extensive replies. The problem is that because of reasons, the post got closed and I couldn't continue reading the debate. I will post the exact same question without adding any information from the answers I got so I can start it clear again, one of the persons that replied on that question suggested me this forum as being a really good one so lets see how it goes. The question is:

Hey guys, maybe you can help me a bit here, I posted the question on another forum but didn't get too much useful feedback.
    Well, I'm new to aquariums, been researching this world for no longer than a month and a half. I have a strong academic background, have many hobbies including car mechanics, survivalist (I grew in the mountains), sports fisherman, history, archaeology, language learning, electronics engineer from career, computer science, data analytics, microbiology, bonsai, horticulture and some other stuff and I'm 30 years old living in Chile.
    After much research I decided to make a 25 gals (space reasons or I would have gone for a 100 gals, trust me), mid to heavily planted, somewhat jungle style a bit more ordered PEACEFUL tank. I did the hardscape already and I'm slowly planting while enjoying the cycling time with my lab (watching bacteria increase with the microscope, checking some fungus I got over the silicone, measuring parameters, etc...) and taking my time mainly because I have no money and I don't want to put anything inside before I have all the plants ready to avoid having to disturb the fishes later.
    The filter is an 80 gal/h canister filter which I put on the precise water line so it creates some water disturbance without too much noise since the tank is in my room. Home-made CO2 system, PH is 7, water hardness around 120 ppm and low lighting.
    Well, that's it. My huge problem has been to think how to stock it. I have seen everywhere the 1 inch per gallon rule but all the people I find in real life (when I mean all I mean EVERYBODY) tells me that rule is too strict and doesn't take in count that you have a good filter, excellent and stable water parameters, etc... IF I CAN, I would like to go with this as stock and put them in the exact order I list them with differences in time of at least 2 weeks:
    10 neon tetras
    crs shrimps
    8 Oto cat
    10 Cory Pygmaeus
    5 hatchetfish
    1 Colisa
    1 Ramirezi german or cockatoo dwarf cichlid
    Malasyan Trumpet snail

I planned the stocking thinking mainly on using the whole water column and taking in count compatible water parameters and temperament. The temperature I chose is 25 degrees Celsius.
    Any feedback would be appreciated, especially the one who says "Its going to be too damn crowded, u cant overdo the inch per gallon rule no matters what. My number 1 concern is having non stressed fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a good plan I vote apisto cacatuoides tank raised specimen's are pretty hardy and will do fine at pH of 7 and 25 Celsius temp.

What type of lid are you going to use? Hatchets jump!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm certain it's no hastatus, but all corys are cool! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with your corys - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Sounds like a good plan I vote apisto cacatuoides tank raised specimen's are pretty hardy and will do fine at pH of 7 and 25 Celsius temp.

What type of lid are you going to use? Hatchets jump!
    Awesome, apisto cacatuoides is actually my favorite choice from both. Ph could drop a bit tho when I have everything setup since I will dilute my water in RO (my tap water is around 350 ppm) and the final Ph will be probably a bit lower. The lid is a 2 pieces glass lid, the only open spaces are where the tubes of the filters enter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirmitch View Post
    Awesome, apisto cacatuoides is actually my favorite choice from both. Ph could drop a bit tho when I have everything setup since I will dilute my water in RO (my tap water is around 350 ppm) and the final Ph will be probably a bit lower. The lid is a 2 pieces glass lid, the only open spaces are where the tubes of the filters enter.
    You do not need to dilute your tap water since apistocactuoides can be found in hard alkaline water. They are not found in blackwater, low ph, low tds water. You do not even need a heater for them if the room that they are in does not go below 60F (15C) In fact they do better in cooler water, no higher than 74f (23C).
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-06-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You do not need to dilute your tap water since apistocactuoides can be found in hard alkaline water. They are not found in blackwater, low ph, low tds water. You do not even need a heater for them if the room that they are in does not go below 60F.
    Yeh maybe but what about all the other fish? 350 ppm is too much imo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Why don't you keep it a little cooler the rest of your stock is fine at 20-25 Celsius

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Why don't you keep it a little cooler the rest of your stock is fine at 20-25 Celsius
    Oh I really dont know what the right temp is. I just looked at the caring guides of all the fish listed there and found a common point in the middle, just that, I don't have I think, I don't remember which one and so I set it at 25 but oc I can move it if ppl say its best to move it. Would you suggest 22?
    Last edited by Skirmitch; 11-06-2016 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added question for suggestion

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirmitch View Post
    Yeh maybe but what about all the other fish? 350 ppm is too much imo
    not for the apisto. In the wild, they experience hard water conditions with water that reaches above 300ppm easily.

pick your centerpiece fish and stock around that.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    not for the apisto. In the wild, they experience hard water conditions with water that reaches above 300ppm easily.

pick your centerpiece fish and stock around that.
    Oh I dont have a centerpiece at all but oc I prefer to remove the cichlid than all the rest together. Would u recommend to remove the apisto if I'm going to use 8 degrees water?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You might not need a heater in Chile is it cold ?
    Id say 24-25 is fine for everyone in your list