· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Senior pets

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

Default Senior pets

1 Not allowed!
    We have been dealing with senior pet issues for a while now. Both Granny cats have passed on, and now both the AmBull and the Mini Dachshund are almost 11 years old.

The Mini is fine. We're watching, but she's moving well (she has a hind knee issue) and really isn't showing any signs that she is old, other than grey hair. I have her on a diet and she's looking good too. I wasn't paying attention before and hubby was feeding the dogs, and she and the Catahoula X had both gotten rather overweight! I'm doing all the feeding again, so we should be able to keep weights at the proper levels now (and if only I could manage my weight as easily! ).

The AmBull has allergies. I think they're all environmental, but we can't pinpoint all of them, just some of the major triggers...like grass. But they are making her miserable. All she does is scratch. Her skin is a mess, her ears are a mess...she's a mess. She had spent years on prednisone but I had to take her off because she developed major diarrhea. Once I took her off, that cleared up immediately, but the allergies got way worse.

So, a new clinic vet suggested they were food allergies (even though we had spent years ruling that out). Fine. Let's try yet another hypoallergenic food (= even more expensive). Guess what? No difference. Three months of keeping her away from all foodstuffs other than the new dog food...and she's worse than ever.

So, I booked another appointment with a vet I trust. We will keep her on the new food...mostly because it won't hurt and I don't want to switch her over to a different food yet again. Plus, she seems to like it. But we are trying a very new allergy medicine and another round of antibiotics (she has a foot issue that has improved, but not completely). And I will start giving her treats again. She really missed not getting treats.

I hide her pills in food. Saves stress for both of us, especially since I need to pill her twice a day for the next 2 weeks. This week she is getting roast pork. After three weeks of total depression (she barely moved off her pillow in that time):

This morning? As soon as she heard me open the pill containers...she was up off her pillow...alert and looking her usual bouncy self! LOL...

I don't know how much longer she has left, but boy, I sure hope I can make it comfortable for her. I hope these allergy pills work for her, because she deserves to be comfortable in her senior years.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    She is in good hands, that I know for sure...here's hoping she does great with the new meds
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I can empathize with you. I have two old ladies. My Silky Terrier is 16 1/2 yrs old and has started having some kidney failure and weight loss (her spine is very prominent which creeps me out). She's getting a prescription dog food, but gets regular treats and some of her regular dry food mixed in. She eats well and shows no discomfort except for chills now that the weather has changed, so she has a sweater on most of the time - doesn't help completely. And her terrier spunk is still very much alive. Just have to keep her weight up.

My Havanese is 13+ years and she has NO problem keeping her weight up there lol!!. She's had some level of allergies most of her life but now, it's concentrated in her rear end area and the biting and scooting is so annoying and uncomfortable we're both miserable. She was recently given one longer term medication that had no effect after 2 weeks. She was then put on Temeril-P short term (10 days) which worked wonders by the 3rd or 4th day - higher doses the 1st few days, then weaning off. It's now 2 weeks since she's been off that and she's back miserable again. I'll be taking her back to the vet soon to see if she can try the Temeril=P long term. Other than that, she's still going strong.

Which new allergy medicine are you trying?

edit: My vet originally thought this might be a flea allergy as the area of discomfort and biting behavior is the same. But my dogs have (fortunately) never had fleas before and she couldn't find any evidence of them on her. When I had the dogs groomed recently, I also had the groomer check - no fleas.
    Last edited by SueD; 11-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to hear you are also having allergy issues with your senior.

The new medicine is called Apoquel. The vet said it sometimes has great initial results, but that may not last. It is also very expensive...about $100 a month for us since the AmBull is a big dog (about 100 lbs).

At this point I am willing to try almost anything. I was not open to anti-allergy injections however. Very expensive (over $1000 to do the testing and have the serum made...and then the on-going costs of the serum) and it rarely works.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I asked about injections like people can get and my vet mentioned the extensive testing that would have to be done first and the costs. She didn't recommend going through that.

I recently received an auto e-mail from my vets about Apoquel - I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks.
    Last edited by SueD; 11-04-2016 at 03:31 PM.