· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Nerite Snail Shell "disintegrating"

0 Not allowed!
    I found one of my Nerite snails last night with Rams horn snail taking a ride on his back. Not unusual, I see this from time to time, but as I watched, the Rams horn was spewing a clear substance on the shell of the Nerite snail. The slime had small "dots" in it, and I assumed the rams horn was laying eggs on the Nerite. So, I reached in, removed the Rams Horn, and wiped off the slime.

This morning I found that same Nerite with what looks like portions of the shell disintegrating for lack of better verbiage. Can someone tell me what might be going on here, and is it possible that this is a result of the Rams Horn's activity. (I am 95% sure it was laying eggs...)

IMG_20161102_210729.jpg
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPerger View Post
    I found one of my Nerite snails last night with Rams horn snail taking a ride on his back. Not unusual, I see this from time to time, but as I watched, the Rams horn was spewing a clear substance on the shell of the Nerite snail. The slime had small "dots" in it, and I assumed the rams horn was laying eggs on the Nerite. So, I reached in, removed the Rams Horn, and wiped off the slime.

This morning I found that same Nerite with what looks like portions of the shell disintegrating for lack of better verbiage. Can someone tell me what might be going on here, and is it possible that this is a result of the Rams Horn's activity. (I am 95% sure it was laying eggs...)

IMG_20161102_210729.jpg
    Bump...

It seems to be clearing up, but I'm still curious.

It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm curious as well, Paul. I've never kept Nerite snails, but hopefully someone who has will chime in for you.

Might you have any cuttlebone that you could add to this tank (if it doesn't already have a piece)? Cuttlebone is reputed to be very good for snail's shells.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Was the shell intact before the Rams Horn saddled it? If so, the deterioration so suddenly afterward can only be the result of the Ram Horn's activity. If it was calcium deficiency, it would happen gradually, over a period of time.

Cuttlebone floats, and looks unsightly in a tank, unless it can be weighted down or somehow anchored into the substrate and hidden behind something there.

Not sure what's going on with your snail's shell. If it's clearing up, then it's more likely something that was deposited onto the shell rather than an erosion. Wonder what the Rams Horn was secreting?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I'm curious as well, Paul. I've never kept Nerite snails, but hopefully someone who has will chime in for you.

Might you have any cuttlebone that you could add to this tank (if it doesn't already have a piece)? Cuttlebone is reputed to be very good for snail's shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Was the shell intact before the Rams Horn saddled it? If so, the deterioration so suddenly afterward can only be the result of the Ram Horn's activity. If it was calcium deficiency, it would happen gradually, over a period of time.

Cuttlebone floats, and looks unsightly in a tank, unless it can be weighted down or somehow anchored into the substrate and hidden behind something there.

Not sure what's going on with your snail's shell. If it's clearing up, then it's more likely something that was deposited onto the shell rather than an erosion. Wonder what the Rams Horn was secreting?
    Thanks ladies. To be honest, I am not sure whether it was gradual or not. I don't normally look for the snails when I look into the tank, I see them, but I rarely take notice of them. This one I did because it was on the front glass and the "goo glob" was big enough that it was noticeable from a distance. I showed the picture to one of my employees, who knows nothing about fish, but always asks about mine, and he wondered if the goo may have been produced by the Nerite, like a scab, to heal the shell, and the Ram was simply eating it. I guess that's a possibility...

I will try adding some cuttlebone.

My Tank Journals:
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post

Cuttlebone floats, and looks unsightly in a tank, unless it can be weighted down or somehow anchored into the substrate and hidden behind something
    Honestly, cuttlebone will sink in no time. I add it in my tanks, even in the filter if/when the shells start to erode. I have the same question, are we looking at the pits in the shell or something else?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, just read your feedback, it really looks like regular errosion to me, it has happened to my ramhorns as well. So you say it looks like it's healing? I'm curious, do you have any recent pics?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat