· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Tiger barbs with goby/stiphodon

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, all. My dad has an "angler's thumb" when it comes to fish. They always seem to get cozy enough to reproduce in his tank. Unfortunately, he was accidentally blessed with some tiger barb fry recently (he was under the impression he purchased all males) and his tank is a bit too cramped with the new additions. He'd like to try to keep the fry and offered me three of the barbs for my 10 gallon. I started over about 3 months prior but my tank is completely cycled, planted with driftwood cover, three kuhli loaches and a rainbow stiphodon. I'm not worried about the loaches but I fear for my beloved stiphodon around the barbs. My dad is no aquarium novice, but I need further assurance. Any feedback is welcome.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Honestly, a 10G tank is too small for any of the fish you have mentioned...the stiphodon included..TB's need to be in large groups to spread their natural aggression.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree that the tank is to small. It will have a double effect where the amount of fish will be so limited due to the size of the tank that they will likely turn aggressive to anything else in the tank
    Tiger barbs are very social/gregarious and when kept in few numbers they tend to more aggressive and stressed. . I also think three kuhlis is to much for a 10g let alone anything else.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 11-02-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. I'll run it past my dad. Interestingly, I've seen tiger barbs co-exist with other *compatible* species quite peacefully in a 10 gallon, but that doesn't necessarily mean a larger tank isn't ideal. My dad has a school in a 25 gal with loaches, but again, no idea how they would interact with the goby. On that note, I respectfully disagree about the size of the tank for my kuhlis. I've had these three + the goby going on two years (my previous 10 gal cracked during a move, this "start-over" is a new tank, old fish) and they all school together and are constantly active except when they're "sleeping". Additionally, several sources in addition to the knowledgeable employees at my LFS attest to kuhlis as the bottom-dweller of choice for 10+ gal tanks. To each his or her own, maybe? Regardless, the feedback is appreciated.