· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleas! >:(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the fleas, and Sox is adorable.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    Frontline Plus is what I use for my 2 dogs, and never see a flea on them or in the house.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I live in Quebec, just on the border from Ontario. I had two dogs and never protected them against fleas until I was infested one year. I gave them Heartguard to protect against heartworm only. They got fleas at the end of November! I'm so sorry you have to deal with it :(

I had to treat my dogs with Revolution (pricey as hell) but it stopped the problem in the house. This is more of a flea infestation remedy imo.

I lost one dog since, but I continue to give Chelsea Sentinal. It doesn't protect against the larvae, but if an adult flea bites them, that flea will die. It also protects against heartworm from June to November.

I couldn't get Sentinal this year for some reason, so I'm giving her Heartguard and NexGard, both chewable treats.

I still get nervous not protecting her from fleas all year round, but I hate using the topical remedies, they are brutal for fish tanks of you happen to get it on your hands.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-01-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    the topical remedies, they are brutal for fish tanks of you happen to get it on your hands.
    Thanks for this warning. I do -- as I'm sure all of us do -- rinse my hands carefully prior to doing any in-tank tasks, but it would be wise to be extra careful after handling this medication.

Rue, I use advantage multi on my current cats. It is ridiculously expensive though. I hope you can find good solutions to your flea issue.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 11-01-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I just am extra nervous with this stuff. I wear latex gloves when I used to use it. But you pet your dog/cat, it may get on your skin and it permeates skin. I hate these things that absorb through the skin.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    True, agreed.

The process I've been following is to apply it and then immediately put each cat in their own separate room. They remain there for 30 minutes. This was advice from the vet, she said that she feels her young children won't get this on them after the 30 min time has elapsed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I think I read it's ok once dried, but I still get nervous lol!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    Well...I haven't found another flea yet *knockonwood*...but am still on high alert (and really itchy!).

Part I: I was at Walmart the other day, stopped at the pet section and looked at the Hartz product (seemed fine)...and bought enough to treat everyone. I figured it might not work, but shouldn't hurt anything. THEN I Googled the product and the reviews were awful. I don't know why the reviews are so bad, but it was enough to scare me. I will return that product and see what the vet says. I am familiar with most of the pesticides on the market, so I'm not sure what is going on with the Hartz topical products to get such awful reviews. But I'm not willing to risk my animals over only two fleas.

In the meantime, I continue to have sympathy itchiness...

Part II: So, I returned the Hartz product and we went to the vet yesterday (Celeste needed a repeat visit) and I asked. We decided that I should stay on 'flea alert' rather than risk treating everyone, even with a non-Hartz product since they all carry risks. When I asked the vet about new IGR formulations, she didn't know! She had never heard of them.

Okay, I was using them back in the 1980s when they are new, and I know they are still available, so I am surprised she had never heard of them! Very odd, given that they are pretty much 100% safe for the pets.

She did say that given our unusually wet and warm fall, that fleas have been an issue everywhere. So that's part of it...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the Hartz products are a waste of money...they don't work
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    I'd be okay if they didn't work...what scared me was the number of of complaints that included words like "sick, seizures, death"...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed