· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Breeding multifasciatus for profit

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, everyone. I am new to this forum. I am interested in starting a 20 gallon long tank for breeding multifasciatus to support some extra income for my family. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is good way to go as I've never bred fish before. Also what would be an ideal filter dor this tank and what should I feed the adults and the fry? Finally, should I use pool filter sand or african cichlid substrate and how many shells should I put in said tank. Any advice and feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    You really aren't likely to make any significant profit from breeding/raising/selling multi's. There is money to be made if you have something rare or new to the hobby, at least for a few years until supply catches up with demand, but multi's aren't in either category. They grow slowly, and there's a limited market/demand for them. Are you planning to sell them locally or ship them out? You don't actually need sand in the tank, a large air-driven sponge filter and as many escargot shells as you can afford are all that's really necessary. I once saw a small tank about 1/3 filled with shells that had an incredible number of multi's living among them.
    Some years ago I got a handful of super red bristlenose from Germany. They weren't available in the US yet, they grow relatively quickly, and are easy to spawn and raise. I actually made several thousand dollars selling them, until they became as commonly available as any other color variety of bristlenose, and their selling price had dropped from $100/each for sexed adults to $10/each if you could find a buyer. I sold off all but a single pair, figured I was lucky to have actually made back some of the money I've spent on aquariums over decades, and have switched my breeding stock from fish to snakes now. Reptiles are more interactive, easier to clean/maintain than fish, but I don't really expect to make much profit from them. If I can make enough to cover the costs of buying/keeping them I'll be satisfied.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with toddnbecka, I've been breeding my fish for a decade and selling plants and make enough to support my hobby. I hatched a bunch of leopard geckos and gave them away to friends and family. I gave my mother an electric blue ram baby too, didn't have much success breeding them at the time. The expensive fish are usually hard to keep or breed or both.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat