· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

Default Bad Amazon purchase - Zacro AH045 heaters

2 Not allowed!
    I was shopping for a pair of 300W heaters for my new 125 gallon aquarium. I found this particular item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1 best seller, very good reviews, good price, and it said it comes with a digital thermometer, which is nice. So I bought two.

When they arrived, I did not receive the thermometers. I opened a chat with amazon and they recommended I email the manufacturer. I did, and got no response. In fact, the item's description has been modified. It no longer mentions a thermometer, but you can still see a picture of it in the most popular positive review. As I waited, one star reviews started coming in from this item. As someone pointed out, every single 5-star review contains the phrase "I received this product either for free or at a discounted price in exchange for an honest review." or something similar. The latest reviews are much more negative. Some are reporting failures, others just missing the thermometer like me. For my part, I just plugged them in today (no fish in the tank yet) and while they seem to be working I don't trust them. I talked to amazon again and they issued me a refund. I don't even have to return the heaters, I can do whatever I want with them.

So be careful out there. Don't just go by the number of stars... dig a little deeper.

Anybody got a favorite thermometer brand?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I've had good luck with Cobalt Neo Therms (built-in thermometer) and the Fluval M Series

Check out this one: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-E-300-...eries+300+watt
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    those are pretty pricey.

Hm. There isn't a single heater on amazon that doesn't have at least a few customers saying it failed one way or the other. That's distressing.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

I'll bet many of them are from misuse...I've even heard that rival companies pay people to post (fake) bad reviews on Amazon and elsewhere, not sure how true that is though.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Jagers and Via Aqua still have my vote. For 300 watts, I prefer Eheim Jager simply because the size of the element allows it to be used with larger aquariums. You will notice other 300 watt heaters can only be used with smaller aquariums (90 gallons or less) due to heating element size.

Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    those are pretty pricey.

Hm. There isn't a single heater on amazon that doesn't have at least a few customers saying it failed one way or the other. That's distressing.

I suspect the failures occur because people do not read the manufacturer instructions that say the heater is only good for up to x sized aquarium. They rely on people saying that x watt heater works well with x gallon tank, even though it is above the manufacturer's maximum supported tank size. As a result the heater is on far longer than it should be, shortening its lifespan, and eventually failing.

eg. Aqueon 300 watt submersible (not pro)

can the 300 watt be suitable for a 250 gallons fish tha

Answer:
    Its very possible to use this for a 250 gallon I have a 125 and use this 300 watt well below what's recommended for my tank size it keeps it very warm and its very durable I have large Oscars in my tank u can only imagine try contacting a pet smart and see what they think u may have to purchase 2 but its still great at… see more
    By Isaac W.Jones Sr. on January 20, 2014

It keeps my 150 gallon pond a warm 75 degrees, but it fluctuates. It is made for an aquarium, so I would guess it will take a while, but it will warm a 250 gallon tank...though it may fluctuate some. Mine fluctuates about 10 degrees (5 up, 5 down), keep in mind mine is outdoors and the outside temps fluctuate too. ;)
    P.S. I am very happy with my purchase! see less
    By Amazon Customer on April 2, 2014

I am not sure about that. Your tank is pretty big. Maybe not because your tank is huge.
    By yanela on January 20, 2014

Depends on how you keep your thermostat. If you keep a constant 80° in your house you would be okay. But if you live up north, you probably don't and would need at least two of these.
    By bob bonacorsi on February 12, 2015

We have a 50 gallon tank and it keeps the water for my very large red ear red slider a perfect 68 degrees. I image it might if you're not too fussy about the temperature being super warm.
    By Holly Golightly on January 20, 2014
    From the manufacturer

300 watts for 90 gallon

Last edited by Rocksor; 10-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That is why I have my Hydor inline set up to a thermostat. This is what I have on the 75:

812pkFj2f+L._SL1500_.jpg

I used to have this as the thermostat but it died on me in July-
    51fu1p7v2GL._AC_UL160_SR135,160_.jpg

so I replaced it with this one (you can plug two heaters to this one)
    p-73617-62950C-fish.jpg

got it here
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    yeah, I ended up going with the Jager. couple of them, at slightly reduced wattage, but still within their range.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Thank you for writing about this as a warning to others. I'm glad you got things resolved and I hope the Jagers work great for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I really hate when I read the reviews and way down at the bottom of their shining spectacular and long winded review it states how they got the item for free/reduced amount but are giving an honest review that is not in any way biased or influenced to be positive in any way by the freebie/discount. SURE!

I always look based on the real reviews and think that only people who have purchased the item without any bonuses should be able to leave a review that counts toward the product's ratings.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 10-26-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore