· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Question Can't keep tank and all fish, want to keep "The Dude". Advise?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I have had a 72g tank with 3 pond goldfish for some time. I took them with me from my pond when I sold the house. At some point I added a Bristle Nose Pleco who I affectionately call "The Dude". I don't see him/her much. He has a favorite spot under a piece of driftwood which he falls off of on a regular basis and just lays upside down under the wood. Cracks me up!

Anyway, I can't keep the aquarium. I'm dropping the goldfish off at an outdoor pond landscaper where they'll live out there days if they stay away from predators. But I can't seem to let go of "The Dude".

Here's my question(s):

- I understand a 20g minimum is needed. It will depend if his 'home' fits. So that's a given. But what about the rest of the aquarium?
    - I have a sand substraite and only some floating plants now and again because of the goldfish. What's the best substrate for the BNP? Should I create a planetd aquarium? If so, can anyone recommend a site for info/how-to. I'm not really interested in high maintenance.
    - What about the filtering system? I have a canister and 2 large sponge for the goldfish. What will I need for 1 BNP?
    - should there be other fish in the tank or doesn't the BNP care? I'm downsizing and just keeping "The Dude". I don't need anything else, unless"The Dude" does.

Any advise, recommendations, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks! Karen
    Last edited by KarenLeePA; 10-22-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC, Karen

Do you have any idea which BNP you have?

How long have you had him?...what was he advertised as when you bought him?

IMO, setting up a new tank for a fish you rarely see is kind of pointless, I'd try to add a few smaller fish with him to add interest to the tank.

If he's a common pleco, 20G isn't going to work, they grow very large.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Since he is a bristle nose, he could stay alone in the 20g. He doesn't "need" any other fish. I would just find it a little more interesting to see something else in there, particularly since "the dude" prefers to hide. The sand substrate is fine for him, and he will continue to need some driftwood. You could attach some anubias and/or java fern to the driftwood to make the tank more appealing. Some planted crypts would also be easy plants to maintain. And keep your filtering at a high rate as BNP's have a good size bio-load.

4 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slaphppy7, I know it seems odd, but I'm actually keeping the bristle because I have an affection for him. I'm more interested in making a good home for him than something for me to enjoy. :-)

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks SueD, that's the info i was looking for. I've tried attaching things to the driftwood in the past but the goldfish always dislodged it. I'll give it another go now that they aren't in the picture and also add some crypts. Who knows, I may find I like a planted tank and go all out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeePA View Post
    Thanks Slaphppy7, I know it seems odd, but I'm actually keeping the bristle because I have an affection for him. I'm more interested in making a good home for him than something for me to enjoy. :-)
    Understood, I tend to over stock my tanks, I lie lots of fish, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    When use to breed BN for selling I set up a 32g tank for them. Ran two filters a AC50 and Fluval u1 internal filter. Tank temp set to 26'c.
    The tank set up was sand. I only use sand, find it easier to clean easier to plant in set up and also simple for Cory Loach's barbles.
    I have a hug amount of logs/drift wood in the tank. Also BN need wood as part of their diet. For the rest of the tank I have it semi planted to make is look good. Being a breeding only tank for the pair that lived in it I was not bothered at all about other fish in.
    But if yo have only a single on, I personally would have to have something else to look at or try and find a female BN. But then you will get them to breed easy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeePA View Post
    I'm actually keeping the bristle because I have an affection for him. I'm more interested in making a good home for him than something for me to enjoy. :-)
    This is a lovely thing you are doing -- making certain you create the ideal home for your beloved pet. I hope you and The Dude enjoy many more years together.

We'd enjoy seeing a photo of your setup. Have fun with the plants!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree, great job with a tank for The Dude. A 20 long or high would be good for him, if you decide to add other fish you may want to go with a long so the fish can swim back and forth. I agree that over filtering is good as they do have a large bioload. Unless you want to deal with BN babies-don't get another one, they do breed very easily. I would keep the canister (give you more space in the tank), you can set up and instant tank too. Crypts are a good choice as they aren't very demanding light and nutrient wise.

Good luck to you and The Dude, I also would love to see photos of him.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore