· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

Default About to get some Kribensis

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to be doing a large Mbuna Cichlid tank at some point in my future. When I don't know, but it will eventually happen.

I just, however, got the opportunity to pick up some Kribensis for FREE! They will be coming from a local Aquarist who is over run with fry. I can have as many as I want.

I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front that is empty in my garage right now, but I need to build a frame for it and I have decided I am going to re-seal it, as it has been sitting empty in a basement for two years, and while there is no cracking or peeling, the silicone does look rather "dry" and while I have no experience on which to make this statement, it looks to me like it is "ready to fail". So it will be a few weeks before that tank is ready, in the mean time, I plan to put them in a 20L.

So, my questions are these:

- What is a good number to get? I want to err on the side of more than I will keep, I can always give some away later. Keep in mind they are very young right now, so they are still very small in size, but I also don't want to overcrowd them too much. I know with larger cichlids overstocking helps keep aggression down a bit, if the same holds true with Dwarf Cichlids, I don't want too few either.

- They will be the only fish in the 20L when I initially get them, but eventually, I'd like to get them some tank mates (especially once they move to the larger bow front tank). What species will play well with Kribensis?

- I am going to be doing some reading on this fish this weekend, but any information, or links to information will be much appreciated...

Thanks!!
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    You can get about 4-6 juveniles and when they grow up and hopefully pair you can relocate the others

You can have schooling fish and bottom dwellers kribensis are not super aggressive
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 10-21-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Pencilfish are often used as dithers for dwarf cichlids and might be something different to have over tetras. I have dwarf pencilfish in 20g tanks, but in your larger tank, you could go with one of the larger species, like Beckford's pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...mus-beckfordi/

Here's a link for kribensis

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...romis-pulcher/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    To get a pair, I would opt for at least 6 juveniles. Alone and not paired up, they will be so so in a community. However, when you get a pair, they can get aggressive in defending fry, so I would house them with fast fish like African tetras- Congo tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus) or Jelly bean tetras (Ladigesia roloffi). If you want you could probably do 1 male krib and 2-3 female kribs, but be sure to setup at least twice the amount of potential nesting spots for them (e.g. 4 spots for 2 females).