· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

Default 5.5 Gallon Shrimp Tanks

3 Not allowed!
    Well...I have an little problem (OK MTS is a big problem). I have 30 shrimp coming in and don't want to put them in the 20 longs. What is a girl to do when she is stuck in a house and her current cheap excuse for a fish room doesn't have any space for tanks to house these shrimp...well a girl finds room.

Yes I want to wait till we more to get more tanks, but a deal like this for shrimp doesn't come along so I had to jump on it. Say hello to my new dual 5.5 gallon set up in my room. I will be putting sponge filters in-fortunate since the shrimp will be picked up on the 29th, and I have the sponges in my Eheim filters already seeded. They have been in there since I thought I would have to break the tank down a few+ months ago. The lids, heaters and some natural product (courtesy of Tannin Aquatics, a place my sister brought to my attention) are en route.

The plants will be kept to a minimum, just starting with each tank having a little bit of the reineckii (got some fresh from Petco tissue culture since the bit my sister took from me was devastated by a ramshorn and is still recovering), a couple dwarf sags and a piece of bolbitis fern from my tank. Hoping to put it together tomorrow or next weekend. Along with the shrimps the only other thing in the tank will be one nerite snail. I will be putting in a drop or two on ammonia in each tank every 3rd or 4th day just to keep the filters seeded. The amount of gunk on these filters will be very good eats for my shrimp when I get them, I am very excited to get some shrimp only tanks going. I was originally going to use my 10 gallon and use a HMF filter divider-but I was concerned with the tank having enough filtration and flow for both sides-so I went with separate tanks. If I get them set up tomorrow I will get some more pics up. Nothing expensive lighting wish right now. Going with some small shop lights with 25w LED dailight bulbs. Finnex 16" stingray are going for $41/ea-and I can't justify another $100 with the shrimp specific substrate I bought. Will be mixing this with distilled/RO water at a ratio of 4 gal tap to 1 gal distilled and the substrate is supposed to bring pH down to 6.6-6.8.

This has been in my head since June, finally got the (lol) moxie to put it together-I consider it my birthday gift to myself this year. Bit pricey but if I don't spoil myself sometimes who will...besides I don't get designer bags or jewelry so what better way to treat myself than with shrimp tanks,

IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg

Well these were the only two photos of 6 that would upload for me I have no idea why it does that to me, its so aggravating!

Took 25 minutes for this to upload, showing what I had in the 4 missing pics that refuse to upload.

I have to rinse the tanks tomorrow, and I will boil the spiderwoods to get them to sink faster , last time it took 2+ weeks for my spiderwood to sink. I won't have that time to wait
    Last edited by Boundava; 10-16-2016 at 01:42 AM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Awesome! This will be an exciting project -- I'm delightedly subscribed!

That spiderwood you picked out is spectacular. Even if you aren't able to get it to sink right away (although hopefully you won't have any trouble) they make a lovely hardscape. I can't see where it would hurt to have them floating for a bit though.

Congrats on your new bedroom tanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Which shrimp are you adding?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

3 Not allowed!
    I am getting another batch of the Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp. When Iam able to I want to add a tank of yellow and orange.

I boiled the spiderwood for about 90 minutes and they finaly sunk. They are now soaking in a pail with some prime. I have to do a WC on the 75 since sis took me shopping yesterday to Lush to get me an early B-day gift and we spent too much time out. I am multitasking and doiing a WC and cooking. I have to get the sponge filters out of my Eheim too and get those tanks upstairs set up.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    This is going to be fun to watch. It looks like one tank will have a black substrate and I am guessing the Bloody Mary shrimp will go in there. The other looks like a lighter color substrate, hard to tell in the vid, but the Blue Dream would look great in that. I like the two tank concept a lot.
    I also checked out the Tannin link...I never would have thought of banana stems. I have banana trees in my yard and I might try cutting off and sun drying some of those stems from the spent banana pods.
    Last edited by Silbar; 10-16-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I know I love the whole assortment Tannin Aquatics has and should have bought those monkey bowls as food dishes...well along with the natural food growing on them.
    It took 90 minutes for the spider-woods to become water logged.
    20161016_123329.jpg
    Well both of them have a "black" volcanic ash cooked substrate...it a dark grey and lightweight but took to planting wery well. I decided to omit the bolbitis and used the buce that I had in the 75. It isn't going to win awards, but it think they turned out well.
    20161016_195412_HDR.jpg
    20161016_195352.jpg
    20161016_195346.jpg

The lids and heaters should be here Tuesday. I decided to repurpose a Finnex Planted+ that used to be on the 10 gallon before I upgraded it to tbe 20L.
    Last edited by Boundava; 10-17-2016 at 01:52 AM.

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice. These are going to be excellent tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Andre. I want to keep these simple so I can see the shrimp. Since I won't get the shrimp until the 29th, I will be adding a couple drops of ammonia every couple/third day.
    Last edited by Boundava; 10-17-2016 at 02:48 AM.

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    These look great! I love the plants you put on the spider wood and the way the plants in the front corners make it look like one cohesive tank. Yet, it allows you to have different shrimp in one place.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new tanks, just saw this....somehow (?)

They look great!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers