· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: My fry tanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default My fry tanks

2 Not allowed!
    This is not a journal, but I wanted to share with you AC members how I set up my fry tanks.

Sometimes I have corydora fry, and have had EB ram fry, but mostly angelfish fry go into these tanks.

One standard rimless 5g, and one 10g bowfront. The 10g is around the same footprint as the 5g, so about twice the height at 16" high. But is for angelfry when they approach the month-old stage and/or outgrow the 5g due to a high turnout rate for the height. Otherwise, the angelfish will be stunted or their fins will bend, and I don't want that. They will stay in the 10g bowfront until they outgrow that one at about 4-6 months, depending on how many babies there are, at which point, they will go into a 40g tall tank to grow out enough to sell. Again, depending on how many fish. Most angelfish breeders sell them young and ship them out, but not me-yet. I have to know what kind of quality babies each a pair produce before I ship them away! I'm learning more and more what to look for when it comes to quality for angels, these last 4 years or so.

There's a pic of my 5g, with only shrimp at the moment, lots of baby shrimp! And my 10g while I was adding some little angelfish fry (4) that survived the 'Overfeeding" incident. There should have been many more:( Oh well, I have one platinum baby and three phillipine blue baby angelfish to watch grow up :)

Can you see the baby angels in the jug in the last shot?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The 5g is lit with a RBG LED tube light, only 6W, and the 10g had a 10.5W Phillips Slim LED screwed into a regular reptile or shop light.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool. How often do they spawn for you?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Boof! I have 20 angelfish in various tanks that are breeding age, and the pairs spawn at different rates, so that question is hard to answer.
    It also depends on the temperature, the higher the temp, the more often they will spawn, hormones in the water, nutrition in food and water changes. I'm not sure if genetics has anything to do with it or not.

I just had to seperate a very good pair that would raise their own babies and raise more babies while the older/last batch was still in the tank. They were kept as a pair alone in my 46g bowfront. The mama is a gold pearlscale and the father is a gold marble pearlscale. Both of those I raised myself. She laid eggs EVERY 12 days and heavy spawns, so she was losing too much weight. She's now on her own fattening up and he is working on a new gold marble pearlscale (also raised from egg) in his new (maybe temporary) 90g.

My other pairs alone in 33g tanks still eat their eggs, and I've given chances to get it right. I just stole an amazon sword leaf with about 300 eggs on it last night, so well see how many hatch. This is a blue x platinum pair. I'm not really sure how often the pairs in the fishroom breed for sure, at least every 3 weeks, but I've learned how to induce spawning if I want them to, and also I've force-paired (meaning I put a male I want to breed with a particular female I want him to breed with).

Sorry for the long answer, but it's a really hard one to answer since they are all different, just like every aquarium is different. I only keep babies I have room for though. The worst thing to do is crowd the growing baby angelfish. Not sure how important that is for other types of fish.

On a side note, and a last note, I REALLY want EB ram fry again!
    -Kat