· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    With that said a lot of the colors like in the natural ram for example is amazing and complex that it doesn't need any modification
    I certain agree with that Joe. Just take a look at this wild pair.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...agus-ramirezi/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I have some Bolivian rams right now that are looking like two are pairing up showing a lot of different colors. Blues,reds,greens,gold,black and white so complex.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh great! Bolivian rams are almost as beautiful and a bit hardier. I hope they spawn for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    They might spawn but there in a community tank so most likely wont get any fry but thanks! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I think it's mostly the colors that don't appeal to me Boof. But I'll also admit not really liking the modifications that german rams, for example, have been through. Maybe I shouldn't equate one modification to the other but I do.
    You can add EBJD's and pretty much all of the fancy goldfish, to my list. And of course I still don't understand why we bred molly's to be so ugly when this is what they are in the wild.

When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That is the perfect example of where I'm at.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Yes to each there own.

This tank is 250g with around 200fish
    Although they only had white lights under the bluelight they actually glo flourcents on the back and other areas.
    So at night you would only see these areas not necessarily the whole fish.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02687863074928
    While not a big fan of genetically modification, it happens as stated by others on this thread both with animals and food. There are all kinds of dog breeds that did not exist when I was a kid. Having said all that I think an all glofish tank with the right lighting and decor would look really nice. I don't have a problem with people wanting to keep fish like this.

Agreed also that there is tremendous beauty in natural wildlife of any sort, finned, feathered and furred.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You can add EBJD's and pretty much all of the fancy goldfish, to my list. And of course I still don't understand why we bred molly's to be so ugly when this is what they are in the wild.

http://dlgdxii3fgupk.cloudfront.net/...4JPB18QxiN.jpg
    Thank you for posting this amazing photo.
    I for one do not like this manipulation of nature at all. But it seems we have no say any more as to what can be modified or what can't.
    But I know for a fact I will not at all ever buy one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Im on two sides of this fence... One - genetic modification just isnt natural and I personally will never own a fish in my home from the glo-fish line. However - Two - I love electric blue acara, rams, gold rams, discus of all variety, quad red cacatoides and so on....... also albino and lucistic fish. It is "kind of" natural but not the way the genetic scale was "supposed" to play out... line bred fish too in order to get the specific trate.

I saw the last video of a fish farm here in florida that is run really well and their rams they breed are crazy different from wilds... its just a line thats been crossed sooooo many times and I like a lot of what its produced. I just think its how egregious its gotten with fish the color of a highlighter box that we know arent naturally even close to that... Thats what seems to set people over their edge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I feel like some species (comet goldfish, for example) have really benefited from selective breeding, becoming much more beautiful than the wild form, while still maintaining an ability to thrive in wild environments. Just ask the goldies in my pond.

Others, such as rams, dwarf gouramis, and (especially for me) angel fish, have been bred into colors that, while striking, can't possibly compete with the wild types for beauty and ability to function.

I often hear that selective breeding and genetic modification are the same thing, but there's a big difference. In the former, we take advantage of already existing genetic variability (some wolves are more tolerant of human proximity; some prussian carp have an orange color). These variables already exist in the wild populations; we simply capitalize on them by controlling who can breed with whom.

The latter means creating genetic variability that does not exist: Taking a gene for fluorescent coloration from a jellyfish, say, and artificially splicing it into the genetic code of a zebra fish. I'm not really trying to argue the ethics or aesthetics of either one, just pointing out that they really are fundamentally different processes.

As for me, glofish are not only aesthetically displeasing--way too bright and unnatural looking. They also sort of creep me out.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 10-19-2016 at 05:50 PM.