· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Happy Danios in 10 Gallon Aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    The man at the LFS recommended we start our new 10 Gallon tank with some zebra danios. (BTW I now know about fishless cycling and will definitely be doing that next time!) I did some research before buying the zebra danios and found several sites that said they needed a min of 10 gallons so I went ahead and bought 3. I now see they prefer groups of 6 or more. The store does not take returns or donations of fish, we are new to the area and I don't know anyone who keeps fish, plus my 5 year old is super in love with these zippy fish so they are staying with me. That said I do want to make them as happy as possible.
    So here is the question part.
    Is it better to keep just the 3 in the tank so they have the most room to swim around?
    or
    Is it better to get 6 or 7 or 8 so they at least aren't stressed out about being lonely while they are stressed about the smaller tank?
    or
    Have 6 zebra danios and one or two other fish?

I checked AqAdviosr and it says my tank can handle 8 zebra danios but I now know just because its possible doesn't mean its the best idea.
    Thank you for your help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    Zebra Danios are great fish! I know there are going to be some of the more experienced members commenting on this later but I thought I would weigh in. I kept four Zebra Danios in a 30 Gallon with two Angelfish whenever I first started in the hobby. I believe the problem with Zebra Danios is their aggressive breeding patterns. If you happened to have two males and one female, the males could chase the female around non stop and cause the female to become stressed. The reason that six are recommend is because it disperses some of the aggression. The same goes with a lot of live bearers like guppies. If it were me, I would buy three more. This would keep aggression down but not cause extreme ammonia spikes. Hope it helps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Is there a chance in the near future to upgrade to a 20L tank? It will give you more options in stocking fish. Petco often has $1 per gallon sales a few times a year.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

4 Not allowed!
    For now, since your tank is not yet cycled, I would stick with the 3 you have. Read the fish-in cycle process
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Once you have a cycled tank, you could add a couple more. But you will have to stay vigilant as far as testing your water and doing water changes as needed should the ammonia or nitrite rise above .25.

A little larger/longer tank would be preferable for danios, but for now you can work with this.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Is there a chance in the near future to upgrade to a 20L tank? It will give you more options in stocking fish. Petco often has $1 per gallon sales a few times a year.
    I would love to get a larger tank. I'm kind of slowly working on it with my husband. I kept our Beta alive for 4 years in a 2.5 gallon tank. When he passed I convinced the husband to let me get the 10 gallon. I'm hoping if I can show him I can take care of this one well too he will let me get an even larger one. So yes at some point but probably not in the "near" future. I've already learned to do even more research before buying the fish. ;)

I do realize I will need to wait until my tank is fully cycled to add anymore fish. Just trying to do more research ahead of time this time so I will know what to do when the tank is ready.

If I add 3 more danios once the tank is cycled should I add them all at once or one at a time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Add them all at once, adding them one at a time will subject the new single fish to being bullied.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Hey there,

IME IMO these fish are really easy to keep and fun to keep. But to be honest I have found them also a real pain to keep. They are really good at bullying each other, also pretty much everything else in the tank.

One thing I would recommend if you can to get at least a 20-30g long tank to give them much more space to move in a larger school.
    If you can't, once your cycle is done make sure to add then next lot of danios for your group all at once. Other wise the other group will pick on a lone individual. Once that is done make sure to keep a close eye on water parameters due to smaller size tank.