· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default 135 Gallon Re-Build

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 135 Gallon tank (Journal link in Signature) that I bought very inexpensively because it has a leak. The glass is 100%, no cracks, no chips. I filled it over the weekend for the first time to see the leak for myself. In doing so, I discovered that the top and bottom braces both have some cracks. Nothing major, but enough that I am going to order new braces and put new bracing on the tank when I re-seal it.

My question is this... What is the best way to remove a plastic frame from a large tank?

I plan to flip the tank and do the bottom brace first. Then I plan to flip it back over and remove the top frame, clean out all of the old silicone, re-seal it and then install a new top brace.

Any words of wisdom or words of caution are much appreciated!!
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried petrol to remove it? I think petrol will help you, however, I haven't ever tested.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using silicone adhesive like the ones from RT-100 series? I think RT-103 is black silicon adhesive, and I do remember reading some other forum that from a tank maker to wait weeks for the silicone adhesive to dry rather than using the smell test.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by supperfish View Post
    Have you tried petrol to remove it? I think petrol will help you, however, I haven't ever tested.
    No. I have decided that I am going to cut off the old frame using a dremel since I have no reason to try to save the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Are you using silicone adhesive like the ones from RT-100 series? I think RT-103 is black silicon adhesive, and I do remember reading some other forum that from a tank maker to wait weeks for the silicone adhesive to dry rather than using the smell test.
    I will be using ASA (Aquarium Silicone Adhesive) for this project. I will use the clear silicone.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank