· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    just something more random but how about a pair of Badis Badis. They are such loverly fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Good on you for caring so well for your father. A fish tank is a nice idea to entertain him.

But I wouldn't go for badis badis. They are awesome little fish, but they act like cichlids (swim like cichlids and are a bit aggressive for a tiny fish). They will demolish inverts and really require live foods. I feel they might be too much maintenance for you to want to deal with and they don't move all that much either.

Bottom strata fish usually need highly oxygenated water, and some fish/amphibians aren't good swimmers, so if they need to intake air via the water's surface, the trip up to the top might be difficult. If you do opt for a betta or aquatic frogs, I would make sure they have somewhere (like a shelf) to rest near the water's surface.

I feel your best bet so far is to go with guppies or endlers. It's not just the lack of horizontal swimming space that limits your fish choices, but also the fact that the tank is deep with limited surface area for oxygen exchange. I think an airstone would be a great idea if you can get a cheap pump. I have a 27g hexagon tank (not in operation at the moment), and I learned a lot about what I can and can't keep in a column-style tank.

Good luck I wish you the best. If I find something or think of something, I'll post it!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Good on you for caring so well for your father. A fish tank is a nice idea to entertain him.

But I wouldn't go for badis badis. They are awesome little fish, but they act like cichlids (swim like cichlids and are a bit aggressive for a tiny fish). They will demolish inverts and really require live foods. I feel they might be too much maintenance for you to want to deal with and they don't move all that much either.
    Thank you for filling in some good points regarding Badis Badis. Actually thinking about it they maybe a tad to difficult for beginning out on. But two things i do not agree with are feeding and movement. Having kept them before, also bread them i have learned many things from these delightful fish. Hence why I recommended them. Mine were kept in both very large community tanks, also in species only tanks. Regarding feeding them mine lived happily on dried foods frozen foods also various types of pellets. Every couple months I would take the time to give them a small hint of live food

I use to keep them in one of my old tank years ago 100g heavily planted community tank. The whole time they were active moving around always seen and busy. Due to the fish in the tank and the size I did drop food down the cave that they had calmed. But still for a tiny pair of fish they were always active in the old tank.
    The other tank they were in was set for breeding planted rock structure and wood. This lot were also very active.

Anyway yes my bad not the best option for a beginner. Sorry for the wrong idea.
    More so when the goal is for a more colourful moving tank.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Ok then. I've never been able to get any badis on dried food! They are so tiny, I didn't think your father would see them! Why I wouldn't do shrimp either.

If you compare their movement to friendly guppies or endlers who never stop moving, I'm sure you can agree that badis don't move as much. They pause, back up, hunt. Guppies just keep swimming back and forth and all over fluttering their flowing caudal fins.

Anyway, good luck mac
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Btw, if you have badis badis, and you feel you can care for them, then you'd know best whether they would be good fish for your dad. Sorry I gave my exprience keeping them. I only had them in a 6g. They didn't breed for me. I had them in with neocaridina shrimp (which they ate), maybe that's why mine would not accept dry foods.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-08-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Btw, I appologise! I got the OPs mixed. I didn't mean to downplay your suggestion Mac! I got all confused why a total noobie would have so much experience kind to think of it.....Lol!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes in a 15g tank - you only have a 12in x 12in floor space... You can absolutely do a betta no problem but I would go a different route. Get some microrasbora like celestial pearl danios and do pigmy corys on the bottom. Can do some red cherry shrimp in there too. The benefit to this is that this stock will cycle the tank with your safe start without overpowering with bioload.