· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for not replying in a while. I got a bit busy helping my mom with her own hobby for a bit. I'm not too sure what the Pleco is as I had read that Common was used to describe many types of Pleco. I've been asking friends what kinds of fish they would like and looking them up to see if they could work together. They have asked for Cherry Barbs, Cory Cats, Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis and Yellow Lab Cichlids. Would those get along?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Below is a good site to research many fish species. It helps to know the scientific names when searching. Or just google say "cherry barbs" and you will find this site may come up along with others, as well as the scientific names. You will want to check for the required temperatures and water parameters needed by each fish.

Off the top of my head as I don't keep these, but the yellow lab is an African cichlid and tank mates should be chosen carefully - check water params required. And as an example, here's a write-up of the powder blue dwarf gourami (just a color morph of Trichogaster lalius). I would not pair these with yellow labs
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...gaster-lalius/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/articles.php

There are sooooooo many plecos to choose from. I liked my tiger plecos (l002) but they got too aggressive when they breed for my sleeping angelfish! Lovely smaller plecos types out there. The clown pleco is a cool small pleco that is quite common, easily attainable and cheaper. Unfortunately, some of these plecos can be quite pricey. You can always look for anak plecos to rehome. Some ppl don't realize what they have, especially when it come to plecos I've noticed!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Arrg. Just read my own link about my tigers I used to own. I WISH I could have had the room to breed them. They were rescue fish from a friend, I had to sell them :(
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Unless you have hard water and Ph of at least 8.0, I would not put yellow lab cichlids.

You need to find out the Ph of your water and the hardness of it (gh). It will make recommending fish easier.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 09-18-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoTyranus View Post
    Sorry for not replying in a while. I got a bit busy helping my mom with her own hobby for a bit. I'm not too sure what the Pleco is as I had read that Common was used to describe many types of Pleco. I've been asking friends what kinds of fish they would like and looking them up to see if they could work together. They have asked for Cherry Barbs, Cory Cats, Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis and Yellow Lab Cichlids. Would those get along?
    Hey there,

Personally I would not recommend in any way keeping Malawi Cichlids in a community set up.
    Yellow lab Cichlids or Labidochromis Caeruleus are better suited to tanks that are set up for Malawi cichlids.

As for the rest of the stocking list I see no issue at all with a school of Cherry Barbs also a school of Cory that you like.
    Regarding the Colisa Lalia, aka powder blue gourmi. IME I have seen three sides of them, all of which depends on the individual fish. Some times they can be very peaceful. But at the same time I have had one kill pretty much everything in the tank. And the third lot I had were quite territorial, but not to bad for the fish that I kept to be over stressed by them.
    Personally from what it sounds like I would start of with a basic tank set up. Cherry Barbs nice big school of them. School of Corys. If you do get one of the smaller plecos then maybe you could add another school of tetra or rasbora. Maybe another group of barbs, depending on the type.

0 Not allowed!
    He is a Common, either P. Pardalis or P. Disjunctivus but I can't get a look at his belly to find out which he is. And donating him is currently out of the question.

The PH was a little too high (above 7.0) for the fish intended but I'll wait to treat it til I have the log in there that is currently soaking.

What about some Cory cats, Cherry Barbs and Neon Tetras. I told my step dad no on the Labs and looked at some other more peaceful Cichlids that I did some research on. Would the Pelvicachromis pulcher Kribensis be a good idea? It matches the water PH of the other options and seemed perfectly peaceful but I could have missed something.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. The sight has helped decide the PH for the fish, which is currently too high but I heard that it will go down once the log is added. I would avoid the Cichlids but two of my friends have requested a type of Cichlid so I'm trying to look at all the options before I tell them both no.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    There are plenty of cichlids to choose from search some South American or Central American species.

Just cichlids are highly territorlal and can be aggressive so it will limit what other fish you can stock the pleco will be no problem due to its size and armor

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to hear that you had to get rid of them. Sadly I was one of the people who got a pleco without knowing anything about it. The whole house fell in love with him so there is a high chance that we are keeping him. Even my dog loves him. The site was helpful in trying to identify him though! I'm 89% sure that he is an L021.