· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Frightful Jack Dempsey

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a Jack Dempsey a week ago. I am thinking about trying to go another direction because the JD does not come out during the day at all. He will periodically come out at night at around 11 o'clock but is still pretty skittish. I have been seeing the fish more and more recently though. Will it continue to hide all day or will it start to become more comfortable over time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank, and what other fish are with him?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Half the JDs are bold and will be out and about, and the other tend to stay skittish and guard their area. It might take up to one month to find out which one you have. Dithers like mollies or platies may help to draw it out. I would get no less than 10 dithers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 55 Gallon. I have heard that I could try Giant Danios because they are larger and very fast. Would that be acceptable?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Which ever is cheaper for you to get. Mollies are typically found in the same water as JDs. The Jd typically fails at a rate over 90% trying to eat mollies, but then again it is in open water with easily over 30 mollies within 4'x4' area.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to give a quick update. It would seem that whenever I am the only person in the room the JD will come out. If my wife or anyone else is in the room it will stay under his driftwood. But if I am at the house alone, I can walk up the tank and which ever corner of the tank I'm standing at he is there asking for food. This has made keeping it more enjoyable

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    JD's and Oscars are 2 of my all time favorites. When I am able to set up my 75g I am planning on having the Electric Blue JD as the show case fish. I have been reading up on how to breed them also.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a beautiful EB JD at an LFS my last visit. I was starstruck by its beauty. I don't have the right setups for them, so it's still there, but it was a social little JD!

If you get JDs KENR, I hope you have luck breeding them, they are gorgeous.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This thread is older but when I saw him in the store he was the most social of the group so I got him. Whenever I got him home it was a completely different story. He only came out from 11 to 12 at night. Any thing else I put in the tank (giant danios, congo tetra etc) he would eat them in the middle of the night. Not a good experience lol.