· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Need help choosing Gourami

1 Not allowed!
    Hello.

I am getting ready to make my second fish purchase within the next week or so. I have a 40B tank, heavily planted, with the following fish in it since mid June: 19 green neon tetra, 6 sterbai cory's, one BNP, 25-30 RCS, 8 assassin snails, and a ton of pest snails.

The very first fish I put in my tank were two pearl gourami from Petco. The pearls lasted about a week before they both died. I added the tetra and the cory's a few days after I added the pearls, and I could tell they got very stressed out when I did that. Plus I have no clue what condition they were in coming from Petco. All of my other fish were purchased online and will be purchased online going forward.

That being said, I want to include a pair of gourami with my next purchase but not sure what species to get. I really do like the pearls but I am now hesitant to get more, I don't know why, I think it's mainly a psychological thing. I will also be buying with my next order: 6 bandit cory's, 8 red & blue Colombian tetra, and 6 kuhli loaches. I also want to get 20 rummynose in the future.

What species of gourami would be good with what I currently have and with what I plan on buying?? Colorful, friendly, active would be best!! Thanks for any advice!!

PH = Been steady around 7.5-7.6
    Temp = 78 degrees Fahrenheit
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 08-23-2016 at 11:20 PM.
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Opaline, blue(3 spot), or a gold goura.is are a bit fiestier than pearls and should do better than the pearls with tetras....but you cant find a male/female pair with them. So just one as they can be aggressive to each other, especialy in a 40B. But they are stunning gourami-especially the gold and opaline.

Just remeber that gouramis are entirely different then tetras. They are inquisitive, slower eaters and more active tetras can out compete them for food and spook them with their activity.
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-24-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Both the gold and opaline look amazing!! So you suggest getting a male & female together?? I'd be ordering from TWS, would it be possible for them to pick out a male and a female for me if I asked them?? Or is it difficult figuring out the sex?

Honestly, one of the main reasons I'm wanting two gouramis are their size. I'm wanting a couple of larger fish in my tank to go with the smaller tetra and cory's. But it sounds like gourami can be very territorial, and also a bit harder to feed. Are there any other "larger" fish that I could look into getting for my 40B tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Doubt you can get females...you can ask but if you get two males the 40B will probably too small for 2 of them.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Just to let you know that I recently placed a TWS order for 5 pearl gourami. I asked if they could send 2 male and 3 female, which they did. I also liked that they bagged each one separately.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Just to let you know that I recently placed a TWS order for 5 pearl gourami. I asked if they could send 2 male and 3 female, which they did. I also liked that they bagged each one separately.
    Good to know!! I'll definitely ask TWS if they can do one male & one female gourami, before ordering any type of gourami. Still trying to decide between the gold and opaline.