· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a bio wheel, but an Aquaclear 50 would be perfect for your tank!
    All forms of humor have been removed from my signature for your safety.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    AC50 with a modification to the intake strainer would be perfect. I have even seen DIY biowheel additions to AquaClears.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys- i got the AC50 and its working great :)
    -Texasbelle92

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the article that I have been looking for. Thanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    AC50 with a modification to the intake strainer would be perfect. I have even seen DIY biowheel additions to AquaClears.
    I have a 20 gal planted tank with 2 5cm goldfish. Currently running an AC30, How do I go about adding a biowheel? Should I get a used eheim cannister filter as I've been told the AC30 is not suffecient?
    Cheers

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sower
    I have a 20 gal planted tank with 2 5cm goldfish. Currently running an AC30, How do I go about adding a biowheel? Should I get a used eheim cannister filter as I've been told the AC30 is not suffecient?
    Cheers
    Marineland makes a biowheel you can run with their powerhead/sponge filter.
    "In order to punish me for my contempt of authority the authorities have made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question Canisters and power lose

0 Not allowed!
    For those with a canister filter, how long can you lose power and not have your bacteria live? A few hours, a day? And what do you do to prevent this when power is lost for much of a day?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    For those with a canister filter, how long can you lose power and not have your bacteria live? A few hours, a day? And what do you do to prevent this when power is lost for much of a day?
    The BB in your filter can live for weeks or months without power,like any other bacteria. They become dormant,and need about a week to "wake up" and start feeding again. This is how and why the BB in a bottle works. The bottle is full of dormant bacteria,and it needs a chance to revive. This is why none of them work overnight,and take about a week to establish in a tank.

I have never lost power for more than a day. If you do,adding prime can help to detox the ammonia that will build up eventually.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishguy2727 Awesome Post!!

Quote Originally Posted by J's Fish
    I bought my power heads so long ago, I have no clue what they even are. At any rate, I have a 75 gal. with two powerheads and undergravel filter of course. Would this not be good enough filtration for a central American Cichlid tank?
    If maintained properly and you understand all of the facts on the subject as presented by Fishguy2727 UGF has incredible filtration power, especially when used with power heads. I feel Many people avoid recommending them because of the many variables that go into making one efficient. Once you understand and follow the principles that govern its proper functionality it is really a useful type of filtration.
    Here are the variables:
    1) How evenly you distribute the gravel across the substrate.
    2) How thick is the layer of substrate?
    3) What is the GPH of the power heads in use?
    4) How heavily decorated and/or planted is the tank?
    5) The Size and porosity of the substrate you choose

The only down sides to UGF are as follows:
    1) Must keep gravel bed fairly level.
    2) Not very practical in a heavily decorated tank - You have to periodically remove all the decorations to Gravel vac.
    3) If you treat the tank with antibiotics it is impossible to isolate the filter like you might do with a canister or HOB.
    4) Not recommended for moderately - heavily planted tanks (unless you enjoy moving plants periodically for Gravel Vac.)

The above withstanding UGF is plenty powerful for any type of tank.

My personal goals in filtration is primarily to suit the type of fish and aquarium. Secondly it should match my style and budget for setting up and maintaining the individual aquarium in which I am considering it for.
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 05-09-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    I'm responding to this very late, but in my experience, my Eheim filter has enough of a siphon going, I'm not sure if my bacteria would die with a power outage, obviously the flow rate goes down, so it wouldn't be able to filter the tank as well as normal, but the water keeps moving through at a decent clip.
    75Gallon Freshwater 2 Angelfish, 4 Platys, 4 Flame Tetras 2 Anubias Nana, 2 Crinum Thaianum