· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default New to tanks and looking to buy a filter.

0 Not allowed!
    To spare an extremely long story (which you can read in the newbie forum) I have inherited a 10 gallon aquarium in terrible condition which already contains a few fish. It has a Top Fin Hob filter on the back that is really dirty. It is encrusted with a thick white crust that, despite my best efforts, I have been unable to remove. I am going to be starting the tank over from square one (at the advice from my other thread). I am going to need to cycle the aquarium after I get it all cleaned out. Before I start the cycling process I have decided to switch to a different substrate more suited to the fish that I will ultimately be keeping.
    I have also decided to go ahead and buy a new filter for the tank and I am trying to decide what would best suit my needs. Is it better to buy a filter that is a size larger than my tank? (A 20 gallon Hob instead of 10).
    My ultimate goal is to fill the tank with a school of 10-15 neon tetras and 1 or 2 otocinclus.
    I have started reading through the wealth of information available on the forums about filters, but there's so much that I'm having a hard time making a decision.

Thanks for your help!

~Manna

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A minimum for filtration is having a filter 2x the capacity of your tank. Say you have a 10G, get a filter for a 20G or more.

Different people have different brands they go with. Most people here go with AquaClear as they are far more reliable than other brands.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Thumbs up Now, Sit back and watch the '+'s roll in

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to the AC20.

The reason for the 2x suggestion is that many filters are tested without media in them so the gph given are simply what the pump will move unhindered by any media.
    When it's full of media this flow is obviously decreased and this situation does not improve as the media clogs.

THIS is why it is best to get a filter rated for 2x your tanks vloume.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 for both of the above.

Aquaclear HOB Filters are popular, many use them and many suppliers sell them.
    They are staright forward, simple, no gimmicks; noted for having a large media area for their size, measured in GPH. They are economical, simple and easy to mainatin.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...r-Filters.aspx
    has them on sale thru the end of February. The AC-20 should serve your present needs well.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome! Thanks everyone. My situation has changed a little. I found a lady that is selling a 20 aquarium with hood, lights and heater. All brand new for $30. I am picking it up from her tomorrow. Taking that into consideration, would it be best to get the AC30 or spring for the 50? Is it possible to get too big of a filter? Would the 30 be adequate?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i would definitely go for the 50. extra filtration is never a problem.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    i would definitely go for the 50. extra filtration is never a problem.
    That has always been my motto!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

0 Not allowed!
    AC 20 or better, depending on the stock levels

Got a 20 on my 10 and it's the most trouble free tank of the two I have. Aqua Clear 20 was extremely affordable, and straightforward. Not to mention, media is on the cheap for this, far as I'm concerned.

So to put it short, you can't go wrong on this purchase. AC 20 or any AC is a cut above the HOB crowd.