· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Can Snail eggs survive passing through a fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 5 Gallon tank in which I have young Corydoras and young Blue Eyed Lemon BN Plecos. There are some plants in the tank. The Corydoras were from eggs layed by my Corydoras. So I know they came from a tank with NO snails. The plants in the tank came from the same tank where I have two Nerite Snails, but no others. Those plants were purchased from my LFS and have been in that tank for 2 months with no signs of snails.

The only thing I added were the Blue Eyed Lemon Bristtle Nose Plecos. I know there were Rams horn snails in their previous tank because the person I bought them from send me a Rams Horn snail as a "gift", which I removed immediately. So, it is entirely likely that she had other snails in that tank...

Is it possible that one of the baby plecos ate a snail egg in its previous home, passed it in my tank and then it hatched? Or can snail eggs lay dormant on plants for several months at a time? Really scratching my head here trying to figure out where these guys came from. I have one who I saw cruising across the tank, and then upon looking, I see dozens in the plant life.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I doubt plecos of any kind would eat snail eggs.

I'm betting they came from the plants.

How long are the corys and plecos going to stay in the 5.5G?...even though they are juvies, the plecos produce ALOT of waste....and the corys, their fair share

How many corys and plecos are in this tank?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I doubt plecos of any kind would eat snail eggs.

I'm betting they came from the plants.

How long are the corys and plecos going to stay in the 5.5G?...even though they are juvies, the plecos produce ALOT of waste....and the corys, their fair share

How many corys and plecos are in this tank?
    That's what I thought, but I have not seen any snails in the tank these plants were in before (other than the Nerite snails that I put there) and they were in that tank for 2 months before moving them to the 5G.

There are 10 Corydoras and 6 Plecos. And yes, they produce a lot of waste, even as tiny as they are... I am currently vacuuming the bottom daily and doing 50% water changes almost daily. The Corydoras will be re-homed in the next week or two, the plecos are going to stay in that tank for now.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPerger View Post
    I am currently vacuuming the bottom daily and doing 50% water changes almost daily.
    Yeah, that was my next suggestion....that's a ton of waste being given off in a 5.5G
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers