· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Cool Switched from Saltwater to South American Cichlids!

0 Not allowed!
    Around this time last year, I started my first ever saltwater aquarium. During that time, I was able to learn a lot about water quality and sump construction. I decided a few weeks ago that I was no longer as interested in the salt water aspect of the hobby that I used to be. So I started looking around into other areas in the hobby that I might be interested in. I started getting more and more interested in Cichlid keeping whenever I bought an angelfish for my 29 Gallon. So about three days ago I decided to take the plunge and convert my 55 Gallon Saltwater into a 55 Gallon South American Cichlid tank!
    So I sold my fish to the LFS and traded them in for some driftwood, stones and my first Jack Dempsey! I was looking through their South American Cichlid section and saw the fish bullying another fish so I bought him haha. I acclimated it over the course of 3 hours. He has been in the tank for about 2 days and things look good so far. He has been looking for good hiding places since then. I think he has found it under a piece of driftwood. The guy that worked at the LFS said that he also went from reef keeping to South American Cichlids and hasnít looked back.
    Some quick questions!
    1) He does not eat the Cichlid Gold Pellets out of the water column but waits till they hit the sand bed, is this normal?
    2) He seems a lot more yellow than the pictures of Jack Dempseys I have seen online. Is this because he is a juvenile?

Pictures!
    The tank being broken down: http://i.imgur.com/vQvbMlL.jpg
    The new resident: http://i.imgur.com/BqUDfQf.jpg
    My happy face: http://i.imgur.com/JNbfjg6.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on finding something that really interests you. Your little Jack Demsey is handsome! But I'm afraid he's not quite South American. More like Central, which may be why he was being a bully in the SA section of your LFS. (Which is very cool btw, that they have fish seperated by the location they area native to).
    But sometimes you can keep a single specimen JD with more aggressive SA cichlids like Geophagus. As long as you don't get a breeding pair, if you want a community tank; they can get VERY aggressive.
    Good luck with your new endeavor!
    And sorry, I'm not familiar enough with JDs to answer your questions, but I'm sure someone will come along with good info :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    The jack Dempsey is a Central American cichlid that requires hard water with minerals. Geographically, Central America is part of North America continent. JDs are very territorial and will defend a minimum 4 foot x 4 foot space (16 sq feet). They can also be quite skittish. If you have a male, you will eventually need a 75g tank, about 2-3 years down the road. They grow quite slowly. You can keep it in 70F during the winter months (reduce the feeding) and let the water temperature get over 86F.

1. He is used to eating to sinking pellets. Get him sinking pellets to eat. Hikari makes sinking pellets. I would recommend something like Hikari discus bio-gold and Hikari Algaemax. They spend most of their time in the wild grazing over algae, and are less than 10% successful at catching mollies.
    2. The blue spangles on the body are more prominent on males, and come in with time as it grows.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-22-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I made a mistake, I meant New Life Spectrum Algaemax