· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleco in Pond

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Pleco in Pond

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 inch common Pleco that I need to rehome. I have an offer from someone to take him and put him in their pond. Are they safe in ponds? I really wanted someone with a 75 - 100 gallon tank to take him. He was 1 - 2 inches when I got him and want to be very careful who gets him. He's a pet to me. He's in a 30 gallon tank but I'm not physically able to take care of a larger tank but hate to part with him. Just wondering if he would be happy and safe in a pond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    The pond needs to be fish safe in general (made with fish friendly substances, filtration system, etc). Plecos are also tropical fish, so the pond temperature must never be below 18 degrees Celsius/65 degrees fahrenheit at its coldest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    BTW a common pleco can get up to two feet so a 75-100 gallon would still be too small IMO.
    adonis6000gr1.jpg

tumblr_mwxn0eMCzi1rp9d2go1_500.jpg

images.jpg
    FYI manatees are 8-13 feet. Those are some big common plecos!
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your response.....not sure how fish safe this pond is

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I know they can get much bigger and need to do something with him. Thanks for those pictures, they are scary tho. Will keep trying to find the right person to take him. Thanks for the responses..........

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah I think this is one fish that should be banned from local fish stores-especialy the chain stores where employees have no idea the potential (throw away) monsters they are selling. Its like going in for a compact car and then suddenly realizing you bought a tank. Good luck to you in finding him a home, much better than releasing him into the wild like so many do with theirs once they realize what they have isn't going to stop growing.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Shelant, I'd say it mostly depends on where you live. If you have cold winters, probably not. If it stays fairly warm, it might be OK. Common plecos are very tough fish. My biggest concern would be ensuring that it can't escape into the local waterways.

Would it be inappropriate to mention that from what I've read, they're also very good eating?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Shelant, I'd say it mostly depends on where you live. If you have cold winters, probably not. If it stays fairly warm, it might be OK. Common plecos are very tough fish. My biggest concern would be ensuring that it can't escape into the local waterways.

Would it be inappropriate to mention that from what I've read, they're also very good eating?
    What do you mean by cold winter? Where I live a cold winter to the locals is anytime it gets below 58F

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    i hear they taste like Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    What do you mean by cold winter? Where I live a cold winter to the locals is anytime it gets below 58F
    Just reading "58F" makes me want to have a light jacket handy....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    We have plecos in almost every waterway down here in Florida. It sometimes drops during the winter to 30-40degrees but not for very long so the water doesn't drop past 60ish probably. Common plecos are pretty hardy adaptable fish just as it doesn't stay to cold for to long its still a tropical fish.