· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Please help! Urgent!

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to breeding. I have two pregnant Swordtails and one pregnant Guppy. I think my one Swordtail is ready to give birth but I am not sure. I want to separate her so the other fish don't eat the fry. I have the net breeder. She kind of looks square to me but I am not sure. Can anyone tell me approximately when I should put her in the breeder? I am going to try to include pictures. It's the swordtail in the second picture.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

What size tank is this?

How long has it been set up?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-15-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 20 gallon. It has only been set up about 6 weeks. I recently decided to start aquariums again but it's been years since I've had one. I plan on putting fry in a 10 gallon as a grow out tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    How was the tank cycled?...fishless or fish-in?

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

There's at least one platy in the tank, correct?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That's a lot of fry between the 2 swords and a guppy. What are you going to do with all of those once they grow out? The adults will keep breeding and breeding and breeding and...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    The adults will keep breeding and breeding and breeding and...
    So will the juveniles.

The lone angel will eat as much as it can, but...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Fish in. I don't know the readings. 3 platys. The male platy is uninterested in the female swordtails and the male swordtail is uninterested in the female platys. If they showed interest in the others females I was going to move the platys to another tank. I know they can inter breed but shouldn't. So I have been watching them. They couldn't care less.

Is my female swordtail ready to give birth? Is it time to move her to the breeder net?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Once I grow them out I'll keep a couple and give some to my mom, sister and niece. My local fish store said they would buy the swordtails grown out for .50 cents a piece.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    If you have a male and a female platy, you've no worries over fry, hundreds are to come.

Been there, done that.

Swordtails are the same way, as are guppies.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't worry about fry, you don't even need the breeder net, they are going to fill that tank before you know it...the amount that will be born cannot be consumed by the other fish quickly enough....IMO, it's more important right now to know your water params if you care about your fish.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-15-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I wonder if your Red Wag Platy might be pregnant, too. I don't really know how to isolate more than one pregnant fish in a breeder. If 20G and 10G tanks have not cycled first then the fry may not survive anyway.
    BTW, if the female platy was EVER around a male (at the fish store) she may have several groups of fry already on the way.
    Last edited by Silbar; 08-15-2016 at 11:50 PM.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie