· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Kribensis after having fry/broke up...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I have two Kribs that I got back in early July, with in a week they paired up and had fry. After about two weeks of being very protective of the fry is seems that the male Krib no longer helps the female protecting. He actually has some nips fins and she won't allow him back. Just this morning I noticed that the babies are now missing and the female Krib looks as though she knows she has lost them. I found a couple stragglers hiding in plants though and I'm still attempting to catch them to put them is a safe place. My question is, is this normal for Kribs to act this way after having fry? I've always read they are very good parents and will stick together until they die. Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Every cichlid has it's own personality, so it's hard to generalize any behaviour as 'normal'. But I know it is common for female kribs to become pretty aggressive with her mate (and other female kribensis!) I know of kribensis females to kill their mate. What size of tank do you have them in, and are the kribensis parents full grown?

I had a pair on their own (no tankmayes) that would spawn in a 33g. Just like you are describing with your pair, my female krib became very aggressive with her mate. The male would keep swimming with the female, but they would swim vertically up and down the tank wall, biting at eachother's face. The female ended up ripping a section of lip right off the male.

I'm not used to keeping African cichlids, although they are not as aggressive as central African cichlids, I noticed a big difference in their behaviour in comparison to dwarf SA cichlids. They are more robust, almost clumsy and kept that in mind. It's almost like the fish are 'built' for their more aggressive behaviour; the male's lip healed beautifully in a short time.

The male would disappear for a week in the cave while the eggs were developing, and both parents led the newly free-swimming fry around the tank, but the fry mostly hung around beneath the mother's bright purple belly. I remember removing the fry eventually, I think it was when they were getting ready to spawn again (2 months) that both parents started hunting the fry.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-15-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. I have them in a 60 Gallon, with a couple Angels, neon & glolite tetras and bolivian rams. I was unable to retrieve the babies, I think they got eaten.. :( But the Kribs are just under 3"
    Last edited by ricktfoster; 08-15-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the fry, hope you can get another spawn from the pair.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Cichlids that break their pair bond in the aquarium is quite common. To reduce the chances of pair bonding breaking, you need other fish in the tank and you need to reduce the feeding of the parents. Since you have other fish, the need to protect fry is there. Feeding the parents like usual will typically make the male want to breed again before the female. When the male wants to breed, and the female doesn't, this causes either the male to become overly aggressive or causes the female to reject the male.

Remove the remaining fry, and they might re-establish their pair bond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    It is also worth mentioning that most species need to spawn a couple of times before they learn how to do it right. How to protect their fry.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.