· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loch Badger

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

Default Loch Badger

4 Not allowed!
    This is a pond journal. But since said pond contains water, fish, and plants, I guess it qualifies as an aquarium too.

Our story so far:

When I bought what was to become Badger Manor, it was just a big cow pasture: Grass, alfalfa, an irrigation ditch, and nothing else. In the 13 years we've lived here, we have planted lots and lots of trees and shrubs, built garden beds, raised chickens, and planted flowers. All of that means water. The trouble is that it doesn't rain much here in the summer, and the ditch flows intermittently. During the mid-summer haying time (when trees and tomatoes need water the most) there is often no water for a couple weeks at a time. A couple of years into this adventure, I shared this problem with the ditch boss, and he suggested digging a pond.

So, we hired a neighbor/friend who runs an excavation business to do just that, and we were soon the proud owners of a 40x50x7' hole in the ground, filled from a spur off the ditch. But despite the fact that our soil is pure clay, it never did hold water for very long. So after a couple of years, we bought a liner. In what was to become an ongoing pattern, I put it in wrong, and it leaked. By this time I had also built a drip irrigation system, and the liner still held a couple feet of water in the bottom, so the trees still had water. But most of the time, it looked like a big, ugly mud hole in our yard. Unacceptable.

Well, bring us up to the modern day. Last year, the Badgerling started kindergarten, and Mrs. Badger went back to teaching after a very important but not at all lucrative gig as a full-time mom. For the first time in several years, we had a big of disposable income, and toward the top of the list was a new pond liner. Last spring, a truck delivered a huge roll (about 900 lbs. worth) of 45 mil EPDM to our front lawn. A few good friends helped me drag it into place. I have spent a good portion of the summer moving rocks in to cover the liner. Our last liner was 60 mil, and I wish we had gone with 60 this time, as I've already had to patch a couple of small holes. But as the say, it is what it is.

This is pretty much a natural pond. The fish rustle their own grub; there's no filtration system except a waterfall I'm putting in for beauty and aeration. Water changes consist of drip irrigating 100 or so trees (I lost count several years ago), watering the lawn, and topping off the pond when I irrigate the back field. I do plan on planting a lot of water lilies and cat tails (in pots so they don't take the whole thing over). But once some good habitat is provided, my job is pretty much over. Current stocking is around 8 gold fish, plus whatever finds its way in from the ditch. Hopefully, if the thing holds enough water that the fish don't winter kill, I'll stock it with sunfish and brown trout at some point.

OK, still with me? Stand by for some pictures.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    The south/west side of the pond. My excavator friend moved the rocks over; all the rest is being done with a wheel barrow and a stout pair of gloves.
    P8080007.jpg

North/East side.
    P8080008.jpg

A seam I had to make to fit the odd shape of the hole. I sealed it with liquid EPDM, two sided EPDM tape, then filled the voids with expanding foam and coated the whole thing with four coats of Flexseal. If that doesn't hold it, to heck with it!

P8080009.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like the laying of the rocks was back-breaking work if you did that all by hand.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Tom, do you have enough rock at the site now or will you have to have more hauled in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Looks like the laying of the rocks was back-breaking work if you did that all by hand.
    Yep. Between that, cutting firewood, and mountain races, I haven't felt a strong need to go to the gym this summer. ha ha ha Kind of looking forward to going back to "work" next week so I can get some rest!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Tom, do you have enough rock at the site now or will you have to have more hauled in?
    I'll have to have more hauled. There's still a lot of rubber exposed, but I'm waiting for some free/cheap materials to become available. It will probably have to wait until next spring. But I have enough done that I shouldn't ever have to drain it all the way again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    I built a wall. It's huuuuuge. The Mexicans are going to pay for it. I have my top people working on that.

Wall.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I dug a low area into the hill for the waterfall. Did it wrong the first time (I told you; it's a pattern) and had to tear it out and start over. Hopefully I got it right this time: Stacked up the rocks into walls (huuuuge!) for three tiers, and mortared them with expanding foam. Hopefully they're more or less sealed and the water will go over the top instead of just trickling down through the rocks unseen. Once it's sealed and cured, will paint the ugly foam with gray and brown Drylok leftover from my Angkor build, and/or cover it with stones so it doesn't show.

Waterfall2.jpg

Waterfall1.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    It's a big project, my hats off to you for taking it on and sticking with it. Oh, and I can confirm that rocks are never where they're supposed to be. I think it's a law of nature.