· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    I agree with Matt. It sounds like you need to do some extra water changes each week to compensate for the smaller amounts. The algae is more than likely feeding off the excess waste/nutrients that are in the water due to your smaller changes.

You may want to look into buying distilled water as it is pH neutral and use that to cut your tap to allow for some larger water changes. If you plan on staying at this new place for a while, you may also want to think about getting an RO unit. You wouldn't need a large one since this is just a 10g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I used to use the magnet type until it scratched my glass
    I like my Erasers, but recently bought one of those 18" algae scrapers from Petdumb. I didn't care for having to stick my arm into my tanks to clean the glass. Now I just use the long scrubber for the glass, but man I gotta admit the Eraser is amazing when it comes to cleaning the corners/seals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, I always worry about scratching, especially since I have sand.
    I may test the water from my fridge, it has a filter and I wonder if the ph is any different.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    ....i try to let the water sit out over night with a piece of mopani wood in it to lower the ph some but i don't have a large continer to do that with anything over 2 gallons, should i just do like a 10% every 3 days?
    For the time being, yes, do 10% water changes 3 times a week. Your pH shouldn't sky rocket with small water changes, although you may notice a small increase over the next few weeks. But don't worry about it, like Matt said, pH stability is much more important for fish, and fluctuations can easily become deadly.

Clean as many diatoms as you can, I personally wipe the glass with a sponge during a water change, wiping in an upward motion and out of the tank. My sponge well be covered with diatoms which I rinse in a bucket of tank water. I do this every water change for every tank whether I see anything on the walls or not. Fine filter floss in your filter will help catch any loosened brown algae spores. Rinse your floss in a bucket of tank water often, more than every water change if need be. And I also suggest adding plants if you don't already have them. Floating plants like frogbit would be great!

The other thing that will make your tank spotless of diatoms are snails. Nerite snails won't reproduce in freshwater. Ramshorn snails work great too, I use them in my tanks, and they don't get out of hand at all, but I've heard many here complain of them!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    And I meant to add, I age my water for smaller tanks in a 5g water cooler jug with an airstone. It's nice and neat, compact and food grade safe. You'd have a hard time getting driftwood in there though.....but personally, I would just let the pH be whatever it wants as long as it's done slowly. I think of you clean the filter, add filter floss, plants, wipe the glass and syphon the bottom well three times a week with 10% water changes, you'll be pleased with the effort.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    And I also suggest adding plants if you don't already have them. Floating plants like frogbit would be great!

The other thing that will make your tank spotless of diatoms are snails. Nerite snails won't reproduce in freshwater. Ramshorn snails work great too, I use them in my tanks, and they don't get out of hand at all, but I've heard many here complain of them!
    If you need some Frogbit, send me your address in a PM... I can send you some. It reproduces FAST, and I have much more than I need.

+1 on Nerite Snails. I had an algae problem in my 5 Gallon tank, I bought 2 Nerite snails and within a week I had no algae and I have had none since adding them. They move constantly for days on end, then they will sit for a day or two and I'll think they're dead, then they are on the move again.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    ok, ill test the water in a few minutes.
    I'll look at some nerites at my lfs, my lfs hasn't been doing well recently, so I'm going to buy from them, thanks for the offer though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok, sorry I didn't post when I said I would, my internet went out because of a storm.
    my tap ph is 8.2
    my tank ph is 8.4
    I did a 10% pwc yesterday, I'll do another one Monday.