· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Spardas. You are absolutely right! I had forgotten how delicate an aquarium can be and I guess just never dealt with something like this before, I honestly thought it would be common sense...I was soooo wrong!

The other fish (angelfish) are all ok. They were breathing heavier and seemed lethargic before I cleaned the tank up a bit, but there was a heavy coat of protein film and rotten food on the water's surface and caught in the over-grown Vallisneria. Once I removed the film and rotten food, the angels were back to normal. No permanent damage at all. I dont think that tank suffered a mini-cycle, there must have been a lack of oxygen though. The tank is now all cleaned up after a good prune and many water changes. Thanks for the concern, it's a lesson learnt for sure! I hope my experience prevents the same fate for somebody else. Never assume anything!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I want to try live foods one of these days

Go for it Matt!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I can only imagine what it would be like to come home to that. What a big job and I'm so glad to hear that there don't seem to be any lasting implications for the fish. It is such an easy mistake to make and it's such a tough penalty to pay for it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Such a sad thread. Really do feel for your lose.
    It would be one of those things i would need to walk away before i hit super nova.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I broke down and cried. At least it's all dealt with now. Except my shrimp are sick. I still have to deal with that. I'm surprised they are still alive.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm late to the party but I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

When I need someone else to feed my fish, I set aside pre-measured amounts of food for each day I'll be gone. For smaller tanks without too many fish, one of those daily pill organizers works great. For bigger feedings, small individual tupperware containers.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, you are onto some good advice. Pill cases next time, or just no feeding! For sure!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Frozen daphnia are better than brine shrimp for constipation.

Yeah assumptions can turn around and get you. I try to cover all my bases when explaining things because I try to assume I am going from ground zero. Some one told me I was treating them like and idiot once and he already knew all of that! I told him I was not aware of his skill set so wanted to start from the basic but took his word for it and skipped some info. He wound up not knowing all that and we had a center aisle planogram fall apart while we were rearranging the store one morning to make room for a new display-it was loaded with heavy gingerbread kits so if it would have happened during store hours it would have definitely hurt someone. I got partially blamed because I listened to him when he said he knew that and skipped over to what he needed to know.

Glad to hear the fish are doing much better. Sorry you are left with such a mess to clean up.
    You know, I can relate sympathetically to your situation, because I happen to be very detail-oriented and tend to over-explain things to others. I also become frustrated when they don't listen and don't pay enough attention to details. I've been criticized for giving too much information, but if I don't, I fear I'll end up not getting the kind of quality job that I am expecting. Even when I do take the time to explain things thoroughly, I've found people don't listen and just do what they want to do, anyway.

When I go on vacation, I now use those plankton banquet vacation blocks (the light blue ones), and very, very little. They dispense nutritious food slowly over time, much like a time-release fertilizer for plants. That way, the fish get food, but not too much. If I'm only going to be away for three or four days, I feed before I leave, then only feed again when I return. If it's for a longer time, I use the plankton blocks.

I just want to say that I don't feel anyone is insulting my intelligence when they explain things thoroughly to me. In fact, I really appreciate it, because I don't like to second-guess whether I'm doing something right or not. The more information I have, the better -- even if I already know it.

So, don't worry if someone says you're treating them "like an idiot". Chances are, they ARE an idiot, or they wouldn't be saying that. Thoughtful folks understand better.
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Angelcraze & Spardas -

I understand this thread is a few months old and hate to stir up bad memories; however, I wanted to stop by to show some empathy to your situations. I could barely read through your threads because my eyes wouldn't stop watering. I'm glad things are looking up for the both of you though.
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234