· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy Boundava. I have fasted them all for a day and a half, I think I'll wait another day before feeding green peas and maybe brine shrimp? I read brine shrimp were good for constipation I thought....
    Yep, lesson learned. I thought anyone would understand about overfeeding, but apparently not. I'm just happy I don't have anymore deaths. I didn't realize how sensitive some of my tanks were, but I guess the bare-bottom tanks are for sure. It's just crazy how much you learn and accept as normal when you've been keeping tanks for so long.
    Frozen daphnia are better than brine shrimp for constipation.

Yeah assumptions can turn around and get you. I try to cover all my bases when explaining things because I try to assume I am going from ground zero. Some one told me I was treating them like and idiot once and he already knew all of that! I told him I was not aware of his skill set so wanted to start from the basic but took his word for it and skipped some info. He wound up not knowing all that and we had a center aisle planogram fall apart while we were rearranging the store one morning to make room for a new display-it was loaded with heavy gingerbread kits so if it would have happened during store hours it would have definitely hurt someone. I got partially blamed because I listened to him when he said he knew that and skipped over to what he needed to know.

Glad to hear the fish are doing much better. Sorry you are left with such a mess to clean up.
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Frozen daphnia are better than brine shrimp for constipation.
    Thanks for that! I have those too, but they are so small! Are they always that tiny?

As for your story, I used to train co-workers on laser equipment for printing. That's all that needs to be said. I really should have known better, it was a stupid last minute decision, I was going to just leave the fish unfed, but my last minute thought was 'once a day can't possibly cause any issues'. I regret it all bigtime.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

3 Not allowed!
    Well the phrase "live and learn" comes to mind. I have used it many times.

The daphnia are small-don't get any bigger than that. Good to give bettas and other fish on occasion to flush them out. You can use the shrimp on your fish too, but I use it as an alternative for fish with little mouths.

http://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/20...eshwater-fish/
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Lol, I don't even think the angelfish viewed the daphnia as food. They looked more like newly-swimming angelfish fry. They ate little pieces eventually, but I think I'll try brine shrimp today. The tetras liked the daphnia. A friend of mine keeps a live daphnia culture, I guess he's all set!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I want to try live foods one of these days
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

4 Not allowed!
    So sorry that you had to come home to that. I too know the feeling, but I'm glad that it wasn't a total loss and the situation was salvageable. There are just so many things that can go wrong with a fish tank that I don't really place confident in anyone to care for my tanks unless they are well versed in how everything works.

After the incident years ago, my housekeeper was shown what he needed to know to recognize issues and problems as well as doing the basic maintenance when I'm away. I also try to think of worst case scenarios and run drills with him (What to do when a fire breaks out, what to do when power go out and generators don't kick in, what to do if something springs a leak, what to do when a super storm is coming, what to do if etc.) That and I have cameras installed and the equipment used to measure basic parameters can also alert me if something is wrong.

Even if you are someone who has been keeping fish for a long time, if you don't know how the particular system work; I wouldn't expect you to know how to understand the setup I have going. I keep it simple but that is simple to me but it might be completely foreign to someone else. Much like with everything else, one can have the fundamental knowledge but without clearly understanding the situation; the outcome might not be what was intended.

Are any fishes still bloated? Are the gills inflamed on any fishes?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't even trust myself with your tanks, Spardas hahaha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Me either!

They are stunning to look at, but I'd definitely follow the 'look, don't touch' idea.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Also agree with the 5 day fast next time. Healthy fish can do that-and you can give them some extra love before you go along with a big WC and they should be good for 5 days.
    Definitely. I've gone on 15 days vacations and not fed my fish. They all do just fine. (I found this out by accident, when an autofeeder malfunctioned. All the fish in the tank survived.)

Sorry about your losses.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Ha! I would after I give you a rundown of how everything works. Just take good notes.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast