· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default How many fish can I put in my 40 gallon breeder?

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a couple planted aquariums in the past but I still consider myself a newbie to this hobby since I'm learning SO much every day. Here's some info on my tank: I bought a brand new 40 gal breeder about 4 weeks ago and used a combination of livesand and small pebbles for substrate. I let the tank cycle for a week, added a heater, and tested the water before adding any fish, then added one small oscar (about 3 in.), a small convict (1 in. ), and a pleco (1.5 in.). I also added some spiderwood and a few anubias... I believe the tank is currently going through another cycle because for the past few days the water has been sort of milky (bacterial bloom?). A few days ago I got the water tested again at the LFS and everything is running smoothly, so, I added some more fish: one larger convict (2.5 in.), a jack dempsey (3 in.), and 6 tiny clown loaches (all within 1 and 1.5 in.). The fish have been getting along fine, I feed them cichlid pellets twice a day and sometimes I add live crickets for the oscar and jack, they love it. Given that this is a new tank, I understand I should be adding fish slowly, what I would like to know is if adding maybe 2 more plecos and/or another cichlid would be a bad idea? I am planning on donating some of these fish back to the LFS once they get too big, but that raises another question, how big IS too big in this small tank? All replies are greatly appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

4 Not allowed!
    It takes more than 1 week to cycle your tank and you need a liquid testing kit to properly cycle a tank. Aquariums should be stocked for the adult size of the fish and not their current size. So you have grossly overstocked your uncycled tank. If LFS tested with strips and has allowed you to stock the tank the way that you have now, then you need to find a better fish store. They only care about making money off of you instead of properly teaching you how to care for fish.

www.aqadvisor.com is a good starting point for determining the stocking of the tank.

Here's the hard way to cycle a fish tank with fish already in it

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Here's the quickest way to cycle without having any fish

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

A quick explanation about the nitrogen cyle in an aquarium

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-03-2016 at 03:24 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    They used a legit testing kit, no strips, and I had 0 nitrates and 0
    ammonia. Thanks for all the information!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    It takes more than 1 week to cycle your tank and you need a liquid testing kit to properly cycle a tank. Aquariums should be stocked for the adult size of the fish and not their current size. So you have grossly overstocked your uncycled tank. If LFS tested with strips and has allowed you to stock the tank the way that you have now, then you need to find a better fish store. They only care about making money off of you instead of properly teaching you how to care for fish.

www.aqadvisor.com is a good starting point for determining the stocking of the tank.

Here's the hard way to cycle a fish tank with fish already in it

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Here's the quickest way to cycle without having any fish

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

A quick explanation about the nitrogen cyle in an aquarium

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html

Thanks for all the information. As I mentioned, I used livesand as substrate- I thought this speeds up the cycling process given that it already comes with beneficial bacteria? I had a liquid water test taken before I added the first fish and had 0 ammonia and nitrates. I had another test taken before adding these new fish and again, no ammonia or nitrates. I read the article you posted about cycling with fish and I just brought my temp up to 82. I have a good filter and powerhead to aid in the cycling process. I will take a visit tomorrow to the LFS to buy a liquid test kit and will be taking tests daily. As for the fish- do I really need to consider the sizes they CAN grow to even if I know I will only let them get a bit bigger before returning them? I am aware some of my fish can get huge. The loaches grow slowly so I'm not too worried about them yet but I will be getting rid of my oscar pretty soon. Would you still consider my tank overstocked even with just baby fish? Regardless of max size? Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

5 Not allowed!
    A properly cycled tank will not have 0ppm nitrates.

You do not have community fish. You have aggressive cichlids, and at any time, their aggression will lead to battles for territory. A cycling tank will only increase their aggression. The loaches may be small but they have blades tucked under their eyes and when threatened it will come out in self defense against aggression from cichlids.

In the right tank, an oscar will grow close to one inch a month, and as it grows it will be come more territorial. The convict, on the other hand, packs quite a punch for a fish of its size.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    A properly cycled tank will not have 0ppm nitrates.

You do not have community fish. You have aggressive cichlids, and at any time, their aggression will lead to battles for territory. A cycling tank will only increase their aggression. The loaches may be small but they have blades tucked under their eyes and when threatened it will come out in self defense against aggression from cichlids.

In the right tank, an oscar will grow close to one inch a month, and as it grows it will be come more territorial. The convict, on the other hand, packs quite a punch for a fish of its size.
    I meant to say 0 ppm nitrites not nitrates. Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

5 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure I understand why you would want to purchase certain fish knowing up front that you'll only keep them for a few months then return them to the LFS.

I enjoy buying young fish, watching them grow and interact with other community tank mates chosen for compatibility, and caring for them as they progress into adults and live out their lives in the environment I have created for them. I guess I get somewhat attached and would not want to be returning my fish to the store unless there were problems I hadn't foreseen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

3 Not allowed!
    I agree, I am unsure why you would buy fish knowing they will outgrow the tank and you will be "donating" them to the petstore when they are bigger. You also have some territorial fish in a small tank, as they grow you will have some issues.
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-03-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

3 Not allowed!
    I would return all the fish to the LFS, do a fishless cycle and then properly stock your tank.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for giving Sake a chance. - gronlaura   because you took in such a special needs cat. love! - bethyMT   Happy Birthday! - KingFisher   Happy Birthday Jen. - Strider199   Merry Christmas - Cliff   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    I had a 4" A.siquia(relative to convict) whip a 9" Synspilum's tail....the Amatitlania genus is very fiesty. Do not mix them...especially a potential pair with docile fish. Oscars are actually pretty docile for their size. I am also one of those people that would rather see an Oscar housed in a 40B rather than a 55G in a worst case scenario kind of situation but honestly an Oscar needs a 75G for it's ideal home...and in that tank it should be alone or with a tankmate which is docile yet hardy enough to put up with some bullying. Clown loaches need a very well established tank as they are sensitive to water parameters and are very prone to ick...

I totally understand the desire for a "wet pet" fish....you can do that in a 40B, you just have to opt for a 6-7" max growing cichlid....8" if low on the activity scale and keep it by itself or with maybe a BN pleco or a few dithers like Giant Danios. Really re-think your stocking options as previously said.
    3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon