· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Slap, OP already went ahead and bought the t5HO fixture.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I hope it will be a nice learning experience for all of us

How much was the fixture?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your lighting search. - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Yes slap I have a 4ft tank. I dose my co2 booster everyday 20 -30 after lights come on. I dose flourish and an Iron converter supplement every other day on opposite days. so flourish today iron tomorrow ect. I have been algae free for about 90% of the time. Nothing really even worth mentioning it is brown however and shows up only in my pvc cave. i do 10-14 day water changes of about 10-25% and dose all supps except CO2. Only dose CO2 in am. I grow java ferns , water wisteria, Rotalla, Anubias, and swords as of now but I'm looking towards something high light for a carpet. Since I have put up the new light sunday and removed 5 of the 8 bulbs I have noticed a small root coming from a node on the wisteria and it has bloomed quite a bit or kind of spread out almost to "accept" the new light. The fish seem content and plants aren't showing any signs of much yet. As for substrate i ahve 30lbs of flourite covered with 10-15lbs of light colored large gravel.

Edit: didnt even realize second page. Yes slap I see that led light its looks about identical to my Elive visually. I don't know how it performs but from what i read (mind you its the internet not everything is true) many of the LED systems are good. But apparently they lack the deep penetration of the column required for "high light" deeper tanks for say Dwarf Tear carpets and what not. Some of the higher end stuff have PAR testing to back their products but I couldn't find anything on mine. Also, I offered the seller of the T5HO 30$ and he took it. So for 30$ i could write it off if need be. I knew 4 let alone 8 T5's would be too much, but I can always remove lighting from this fixture. People debate the T5/LED war tooth and nail it's kind of hard to find a real deciding factor. I havent yet sold the LED system so i could always revert to that again. The prices of the LED pods were starting to add up. LFSs' around me sell them from 8-12$ a piece depending on the store and what specific pod. plant pods being on the more expensive end. I was potentially digging a hole if it wasn't ever going to work... So I threw a dart.

Again, everyone on here has always provided great feedback and information. Slap you are always commenting and providing good insight. I hope I haven't offended you or anyone else on this forum. Keep it coming!!!
    Last edited by SF Ice; 08-03-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Well it certainly seems as though you have a good setup and have a fine grasp on all your ferts and whatnot. I apologize for assuming this was an attempt at a planted tank from someone a bit more new to the hobby. We get quite a few newcomers around here. My bad!

If you've been dosing ferts and all that, I'd have to agree with you in that the light was most likely the culprit for your lack of growth. You now have a pretty beastly light setup. You may want to consider getting a pressurized CO2 setup as opposed to the liquid carbon supplement. Growing a carpet without CO2 may take a very long time. If you had a CO2 system on your tank, you could really crank up the light and ferts.

Care to share a photo of your tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks Bluewater. I must say though, about 5months ago I was a pretty new hobbyist in the fish keeping world. You can learn a lot if you listen to what people say and apply it to other things that you read. I will continue to listen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    We are always learning :) It's what separates us enthusiasts from your average Walmart fishbowl people. I think a lot of us started out that way, myself included, but we are constantly researching and learning new things.

When your current bottles of ferts start running out, look into switching over to the dry stuff. I made the change myself a little over two months ago and I've been kicking myself for not doing so sooner. The $15 combo package I bought has everything my plants will ever need, and will last me at least a year despite dosing my 55g every day and my three non-CO2 tanks once a week.

Here was the start of dosing, right at the end of May:

2016_05_26_23_44_06_ProShot.jpg

And here it was this past Saturday:

WP_20160730_001.jpg

The growth of the amazon sword, itself, was amazing, but I really like what happened to the tall jungle vals in the back. They were very torn up and sickly looking when they arrived from the seller, as you can see in the "before" photo. Almost all of them melted away before bouncing back and many are now 5+ feet long.

I was never able to get these kinds of results with the bottled liquid ferts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm working on a photo /video of my tank right now couldnt do it from work. What dry ferts do you recommend and a brand? Also where do you buy?

video:
    Last edited by SF Ice; 08-03-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    here is a bit better resolution picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I bought this package:

Estimative Index Package

Aquariumfertilizers.com is just as good as GreenLeafAquariums, but I believe GLA is slightly cheaper.

The link will explain what four compounds you get, but in a nutshell:

Your three essential macros (Potassium, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus) are included in these compounds:
    Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
    Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)
    Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4)

The fourth compound is called Plantex CSM+B. This is a cocktail of all your micronutrients, such as your iron, manganese, boron, etc.

Some people also get magnesium sulfate (not included in the package I linked) if they have soft water, but the Plantex already has magnesium in it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast