· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default General Question about Lights

0 Not allowed!
    I have a general question about lights when it comes to lighting fish tanks...

Which is generally more important to the plants: The Color of the light or the Intensity of the light? And I am sure for some plants it is one and some the other, but overall, which is more important?
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think a lot has to do with spectrum, I may be wrong, but I think that matters more than intensity

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Jason is correct.

Plants are optimized to absorb certain wavelengths of light for photosynthesis. If you have a bulb/LED that does not emit those particular wavelengths, it will not help the plant at all even if it is so bright it blinds you. If you find a light that shows a "color temperature" of around 6,500k, that will be perfect. It will provide enough energy in the lower red wavelengths, which freshwater plants use for photosynthesis, while still providing an even emission of your yellows and blues to help your tank be colorful as opposed to just a dull red. As you go higher in color temp values, like 10,000k+, that's when you see the main spectrum shift towards the blue, which is why marine tanks always seem to have a blueish cast to them.

Stick to the 6,500-7,000k range for freshwater and you will be fine.

Unless you are trying to grow plants that demand high light, or are trying to grow your plants very fast with ferts and CO2 injection, you won't need high-intensity lighting. Most of our usual freshwater plants will get by without super bright lights.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 07-29-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the confirmation Blue... That is what I thought, but I haven't found it put that simply anywhere.

It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank