· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Are dry ferts dosed in different concentrations/amounts depending on whether or not you are running CO2?

I tried them once years ago without CO2 on a tank I had been using Excel and occasional Flourish. I don't remember how much or how often but I know I was conservative in dosing and I can't remember exactly what they were - a combination of sorts in one pkg. My tank developed a bad case of hair algae - the first I had ever experienced up to that time. I removed as much of the algae as I could, stopped the dry ferts and never had it in that tank again.

I have had it only once since then in another tank without dry ferts, using Flourish, but it seemed to be concentrated on one type of plant. When I removed the plants and stopped the Flourish, it solved the hair algae problem. Never knew why it developed the hair algae but I don't dose anything now and all is well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, CO2 has a direct impact on the amount and frequency of your dosing. Plants need the three essentials for photosynthesis: light, nutrients, and CO2. The rate at which those three components are used up are dependent on each other. If you have a lot of light and ferts, but no CO2, the plants will not be able to use up the ferts efficiently and you will have a lot of unused nutrients floating around in your tank, providing algae with lots of opportunities.

With low-tech tanks, it's much easier to overdose with ferts and get algae. This is why I advocate for people to start with little-to-no ferts and only dose accordingly when they notice deficiencies in their plants. In Waylon's case, holes in leaves are usually a sign of a lack of phosphorus and manganese. Phosphates are a macronutrient, and manganese is include in the Plantex micro mix. He would have to play around a bit to find the right concentration for his setup, but I'm guessing that 1/32tsp of KH2PO4 and 1/32tsp of Plantex CSM+B will be a good starting point for a 29g with no CO2 and low/medium light.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    This is some great info! I'm currently going through Diana Walstad's "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". Thanks Boof for spelling it out in a way that is really direct and easy to understand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    I thought I would check in since it has been a few weeks. The tank is going good and I have eliminated the algae problem that was somewhat looming over the tank. The problem was caused by excess light so I finally got serious about limiting how long the tank will be on each day. The angelfish are really starting to pop with color, especially in their yellows and blues. This week I decided that it was time to get rid of my Salt Water tank. I am not as interested in it as I was a year ago and it is costing me a good amount of money in water changes each month so I have decided that I am going to be turning it into some form of South American Cichlid Tank. I have been looking at some smaller species (T-Bar) that would do good in a 55G. I am also looking forward to attending my first ever Missouri Aquarium Society Meeting next month. I am hoping to find locally raised Wild-Type Angelfishes for sale at their swap meet. Going back to the tank, I recently bought some Crypts about a week and a half ago. Since then, they have each melted down to about two leaves but I have heard that this is normal. Any advice on Crypt care would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by waylon101; 08-13-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I tried to get rid of the wonky images but their up there. I guess I'm just going to have to upload images using a third party site.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Haha so says the guy with the most amazing planted tanks on AC

Waylon, I didn't have much luck using Flourish. It was better than nothing, but my plants exhibited stunted growth. Flourish is more of a supplement to ferts. It has a lot of things in it, but at very low concentrations. I saw an explosion of growth once I switched to dry ferts. The steroids my friend Spardas is referring to are these:

GLA Estimative Index Package

Considering the $15 for a year or two worth of dry ferts that have everything your plants need, compared to what you spend on a bottle of Flourish that lacks your macros, the dry ferts win hands down. It would be more than enough for your needs since you don't have a ton of plants in there. Just dose your macros the day after a water change, then dose your Plantex (micros) halfway through the week.

The nice thing about the EI package is that you are already set for the day that you get the itch to go high-tech. Slap on a CO2 kit, crank up the light, and dose away
    Boof, I have been looking into dry ferts and I wanted to ask you about how you put it inside the tank? I have looked into getting the smaller bottles but I have heard of mixing it into a cup of tank water or just putting it directly in the tank. What do you suggest?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to show off some of the progress over the past year. The bottom picture is my first ever planted tank! This was taken a little over a year ago. The top picture is my current tank. I'm learning more and more everyday. This has been a very fun hobby to get into. Thanks for all the information and help AC!

http://i.imgur.com/nIv8Pgz.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Tank looks great, nice job.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I always enjoy a compliment from the Master lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just an Update:
    I was planning on going to my local club this month for their swap meet but unfortunately my Grandfather passed and so I had used to use the money I saved for travel expenses. I am still planning on going to the Aquatic Experience in Chicago this November though. I am also looking into the dry ferts packages around the web to see which one I like. Unfortunately I think I will need to wait till my next paycheck to buy it. The plants are still looking good other than the Rotala. It has lots of holes in the leaves so I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

http://imgur.com/a/aKIwl

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast