· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Talking The Livebearer Jungle

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! I noticed that I have been on here for a while and have not had an aquarium journal yet. I have had this tank for about a year and a half. It has been planted for only about 8 months. I'm definitely no expert but I'm trying to learn more about the hobby everyday. Being married and still being in college is quite taxing on an aquarium's funding. So, the object of the tank so far has been to buy things overtime and keep costs low. It was sad whenever our Black Moor died but I have been extremely happy to get back to my roots with two angelfish. The tank is 29 Gallons, uses CFL Light bulbs, and has a Aquatop PFE-6 Filter(with Aquaclear Media). The reason I have decided to start this journal now is because I would like to do some renovations to it. I plan on having an automated top off system using an aqualifter, actually painting the background instead of the paper background and painting the stand. Thank you all for the support so far!

Here are links to the pictures (The files were too large to put in):
    http://i.imgur.com/6HIjM0X.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OK9M13X.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Eyr8B5b.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!

Before

After

I know that I have a rushing problem lol. A lot of times whenever I get new tanks I get excited and set them up, often times not thinking about the cord management or even placement. That’s pretty much what happened with this tank so I decided that I should get on the ball and improve my cord management. So I used mounting tape to stick the power strip to the wall. The filter and lights were plugged into the power strip. The auto top off pump was set to another smaller power strip and a timer. The Aqua Lifter pump has been set to pump water up to the tank for about five minutes every day.

The Auto Top Off

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do not know why some pictures are uploading and some are not. they are all the same dimensions.
    20160728_194529.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    I do not know why some pictures are uploading and some are not. they are all the same dimensions.
    20160728_194529.jpg
    Welcome to the AC! B
    BTW... This is a cool trick! How do you keep the water in there?
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Very cool. I like the composition of this tank ie the rock and plant placement. It all came together for a very pleasant look.

Most of the plants look nice and healthy. Those holes in the leaves in the rear plants are usually caused by manganese deficiencies. Are you adding any fertilizers to this tank?

Those swords that you have in the back may outgrow that tank at some point. I had four in my 55g and had to remove all except for one. The leaves get to be about 2 feet long and the plant grows a very impressive root system which may end up being very difficult to remove later on. I would like to remove my remaining sword to free up some real estate within the tank, but I would end up ripping apart the whole plant bed in the process due to its roots. Just something for you to think about before those things hit their growth spurt.

In less than about 9 months, my amazon has gone from this (center plant):

old tank.jpg

To this:

2016_07_21_08_33_40_ProShot.jpg

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its actually very easy, first you take a picture with a newer camera and then you try to upload it and watch the disaster lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    oh wow! That is a lot of growth. All I have been dosing is Seachem Flourish. I've heard that adding Iron can help on the Swords. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

3 Not allowed!
    Boof just gives his plants steroids and call it a day.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    it would seem that way haha!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Boof just gives his plants steroids and call it a day.
    Haha so says the guy with the most amazing planted tanks on AC

Waylon, I didn't have much luck using Flourish. It was better than nothing, but my plants exhibited stunted growth. Flourish is more of a supplement to ferts. It has a lot of things in it, but at very low concentrations. I saw an explosion of growth once I switched to dry ferts. The steroids my friend Spardas is referring to are these:

GLA Estimative Index Package

Considering the $15 for a year or two worth of dry ferts that have everything your plants need, compared to what you spend on a bottle of Flourish that lacks your macros, the dry ferts win hands down. It would be more than enough for your needs since you don't have a ton of plants in there. Just dose your macros the day after a water change, then dose your Plantex (micros) halfway through the week.

The nice thing about the EI package is that you are already set for the day that you get the itch to go high-tech. Slap on a CO2 kit, crank up the light, and dose away

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP