· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job with your goldfish! - Slaphppy7   

Cool new tank for old fish

1 Not allowed!
    So I've had my fancy goldfish for about 5 years, I inherited her/him (sex unknown!) as a foster child. She used to live in a tiny bowl (with her original owners) for a couple of years. She's about 6-7 years old. I put her into a 20 gallon tank and she's grown quite a bit.

I just got a 55 gallon tank at a great deal, with a nice stand.

I want to put my goldfish into it and give her a big proper home. But I wonder if she would like companions? Will she not deal well with them after all this time solo?

Should they be an extra goldfish? Or something small and not in the way? Any suggestions? Will she like the new big tank?

Also any recs for a new filter?

Thank you!
    Last edited by djcampers; 07-18-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

2 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the 55 gallon tank.

What type of goldfish do you have?

My suggestion would be having no more of four of the fancy variety, I.e. ranchu, ryukin, butterfly, oranda etc.

If you like the single tail variety I would only put in a total of two since they get a lot bigger.

Filtration: I'm a huge fan of aquaclear HOB. Personally I would do 2x Aquaclear 50 with mechanical and bio media only.

Best of luck.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I would put something other than another goldfish, just my personal preference, maybe some dojo loaches or other cold water fish. For filtration, I would get a good canister filter. I have had good experiences with the Fluval 06 series.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

3 Not allowed!
    I was in a similar position. I had 2 fantails left in my 55g. Then I rescued 2 comets.

Big no-no to mix them...but so far so good.

Then the one fantail died (it had issues). I was worried about the remaining fantail (also around 7 years old or so) being bullied from one of the comets...so I added two more smaller fantails to change the tank dynamics.

Five is pushing it...especially with 2 being comets...however the dynamics seem to work.

Goldfish like other goldfish. I would suggest getting 2 (or 3) more fancies. If they are smaller than the original it should be fine.

I have noticed that "depression" seems to lift when goldfish have company.

FWIW...I have an AC 110. I like HOBs. Easy to keep an eye on. My water quality is good.

Good luck setting up your new tank!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Rue, goldfish are social and s/he will appreciate a friend or 2 in the tank. If s/he is a fancy then I would add another fancy (or 2) as well. Just be mindful where you get them as chain store goldfish will 99% of the time bring ich with them (poor babies). You can put dojos too, but 3 would be the limit for a 55 and then you need a lot more filtration. If you are going with fancies you may want to consider a canister filter, like the SunSun. They are pretty decent and very customizable-can get a whole lot of BB media in it. Nice to hear you are thinking of getting your goldfish a buddy or two. When I had goldfish they always liked being in twos and if one died I could see what we would equate as depression (lethargy and no/little interest in eating) with the survivor.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-01-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much everyone!

The tank is going to be a used ex-saltwater tank having had a lot of fish recently in it. I've cleaned it out pretty well. I was planning on using as much of the water from the old 20 gallon tank and then new water in a simple transfer. Are there other steps I should take?

I'm glad to hear they like friends! I don't know what kind of goldfish I have or even the sex of mine though, is that something to figure out before introducing a buddy?

I think she'he is a fancy goldfish?

Can I add another fancy (or maybe smaller goldfish?) and two dojo loaches for the 55 gallon? I also like the idea of a canister filter system too.

I'll put a couple of pictures here if I can.Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.56.24.png
    Last edited by djcampers; 08-14-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.56.41.png

Here is another picture!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Can I add another fancy (or maybe smaller goldfish?) and two dojo loaches for the 55 gallon?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    You can add 3-4 more fancy goldfish (no dojo loaches) if you are willing to do the work of cleaning the tank and keep the nitrates below 20ppm. If for some reason your goldfish is more aggressive because it was alone for 7 years, adding 3-4 more fancy goldfish will help to disperse its aggression among the new comers. There is a risk with adding new fish, and that is they may bring parasites/disease with them. I would be ready to treat with medication or know where to get some locally. If not locally, get some online before purchasing the new fish. I assume you do not have a quarantine tank, so the first thing you will need is Seachem Paraguard. This has to be dosed daily and for 3 weeks. This will help to stop ich outbreaks which many other fish can carry.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Get a couple bottles of Paraguard for a 3 week dosage. Cheapest online through Doctors Foster and Smith.com

I think 3 more in a 55 is the limit, I think 5 goldfish in a 55 is too much, even with fantails.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore