· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Guppy giving birth - What do I do?

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed that one of my female guppies (who was pregnant for a long time) had a strange round thing near its gravid spot - I looked it up and sure enough it seemed to be giving birth. I hastily managed to put it in a small bowl I keep around for emergencies (filled up with tank water), though I'm at a loss about what to do with the fry they're born. Any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What other fish are in the tank?

Get her out of the bowl and back in the tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    5 other guppies, 7 zebrafish and 6 cories, 29 gallons.

The last time a guppy gave birth, all but one fry were eaten. And the survivor got eaten anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Who ate them?...the zebra danios?

In a way, you are lucky...guppys breed quite easily, and the population you'll have could explode quicker than you could deal with

Put her back in, let Nature take it's course, no fish should be in a small unfiltered bowl for long

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

2 Not allowed!
    I honestly don't know who ate them, but I saw the adult guppies going after the survivor as well as the zebra danio, but don't worry, the mother will be put back in once the fry are born.

As for the fry, it's my intention to actually raise the majority to adulthood and maybe even sell them, not just "let nature take its course". I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium- should I move the fry there once I set it up?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-Blue766 View Post
    I honestly don't know who ate them, but I saw the adult guppies going after the survivor as well as the zebra danio, but don't worry, the mother will be put back in once the fry are born.

As for the fry, it's my intention to actually raise the majority to adulthood and maybe even sell them, not just "let nature take its course". I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium- should I move the fry there once I set it up?
    Since you have a tank available, set it up, stealing 5 Gallons of water from the established tank, take some bio media from the established tank as you do not have time to cycle the tank.

I did this very thing last week to save some Cory fry. But honestly, you'll be lucky to sell guppies, and they reproduce FAST.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!

Guppys are livebearers, like platys, mollies, endlers, and swordtails.

Give them time enough, and they will breed out of control...it's not a question of "if", but "when" for livebearers

How long has the tank been set up?

How many adult males vs. females are in the 29G?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    I like to use a simple breeder net that hangs inside of the tank to separate the "ready" female. So they can release there young then transfer the female back into the main tank. The female will potentially eat her own young so its not advisable to keep her with them.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 07-18-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    maybe even sell tthem
    Not sure were your located but regardless due to the ease of breeding. They are not expensive and usually sell for 10-20 fish for only a $1 so your better off letting nature take over. Or having a separate tank to raise the young just for your own enjoyment or donate to local fish store.