· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Gold Gourami and Dwarf not getting along...

0 Not allowed!
    I've made my introduction post and now for the real reason i'm here.
    I decided to get back into fish keeping so my son and I could enjoy the hobby together. I started with a 10g and made a rookie mistake...I let him pick out the fish.(he's 4) So he did pick out some cool fish, a Gold Gourami, Dwarf Gourami, cory cat, fancy guppy and one of those clawed foot frogs(I didn't want it but he insisted. I quickly realized that the 10g was way to small but luckily Petco saved the day with their dollar a gallon sale. I picked up a 29g and decided to plant it after reading that gouramis like to establish there own territory and lots of hiding spots would help. Now the problem. The Gold was the last edition to the family. the Dwarf got along with everyone and was a pretty active fish...he likes to swim around all over the tank and never bothered anyone. The Gold now chases him around even though they have claimed opposite sides of the tank. The Dwarf still likes to cruise around and when the Gold sees him he will dart out of his hiding spot and chase the dwarf around then go back. This goes on all day.
    I was planning on getting some smaller schooling fish but I have read that one way to deal with an aggressive fish is to get another slightly more aggressive one. This approached worked well for me with my old cichlid tank. So if this is a bad idea let me know. If its not some fish suggestions would be appreciated. Also could the addition of some more peaceful community fish help or hurt this situation?
    Here's a pic of the tank too:

You can actually see the pic the Gold screwing with the Dwarf.
    Thanks in advance. Oh and my son named them, Dwarf-Franky Gold-Lady(Although i'm not even sure what their respective sexes are...lol)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Pick which gourami is liked the best and rehome the other one for store credit would be the best solution.

Adding more community fish will not help nor hurt that much since they will look different than the gouramis. You would have to add at least 2 other dwarf gouramis to the mix, but even then there is no guarantee that one gourami would not get picked on.